Experienced scientist Carbon Capture and Storage
Contributing to the energy transition. Envision it. Become a carbon capture and storage scientist at TNO in Delft.
What will be your role?
The energy sector and the industry are in a transition toward the use of new feedstocks, renewable energy, increasing processes efficiency and circularity. In this context, unavoidable CO2 emissions should be treated by means of carbon capture and storage or utilization. The department Sustainable Process & Energy Systems works on all these transitional topics. Our core technical expertise includes gas treatment and conversion, production of synthetic fuels, separation technologies, electrochemistry, synthesis of bio-based building blocks and energy conversion & storage. We work for- and with (renewable) energy and industrial companies and in an international network of knowledge partners.
Some typical projects/programs we are working on:
- Carbon capture and carbon (re)use technology development and piloting: www.alignccus.eu, www.launchccus.eu, www.everlongccus.eu, www.takeoff-project.eu
- Electrification of the industry: www.voltachem.com
- Biomass valorization: biogas as a fuel and feedstock, biomass conversion to aromatics: www.biorizon.eu
What will you do?
With an increasing workload, we are looking for an experienced colleague to expand the team working on carbon capture and utilization, synthetic fuels and other gas processing technologies. Working with our clients and partners, you will identify opportunities (e.g. emission reduction options) and develop processes to materialize such opportunities as part of our projects. You will also assist in proposing and developing technological innovations. From laboratory scale to establishing pathways and partnerships to bring such innovations to market. Your main task is to develop ideas into solutions. You will do this by creating models, running simulations, coordinating modeling and simulation work with your colleagues, designing experimental setups, coordinating experimental work with our laboratory staff, analyzing results, conducting scale-up studies and techno-economic evaluations, and providing follow-up and reporting. You will be part of the core project team and report to the project manager and technical lead.
Some of our projects are with (inter)national consortia and we expect you to actively participate in meetings, present results and represent TNO's work in those projects. Furthermore, you support the acquisition of new projects by participating in writing project proposals and support business development from your technical expertise.
"You can see that TNO considers learning and development important in the way TNO employees interact with each other. You can always go to your colleagues for feedback, and they will support you in planning your personal development. Having the freedom to follow your own path has two benefits. Firstly, employees enjoy doing work that they’re good at. Secondly, because each individual enjoys something different, TNO has a huge amount of in-house diversity and expertise."
What we expect from you
The ideal candidate will have the following background:
- You have at least three years of experience in engineering (process engineering/chemical engineering).
- You have experience with CO2 capture and/or CO2 utilization pathways.
- You have experience with techno-economic evaluations.
- You have experience with modeling and simulation (e.g. ASPEN, Protreat, Excel VBA).
- You have experience with scientific writing and have published papers in scientific journals.
- You have a good command of the English language, both oral and written.
The position is best suited for an enthusiastic person with the following characteristics:
- You are passionate about contributing to the decarbonization of industries.
- You have very strong interpersonal skills and proactive communication.
- You are a team worker and able to interact with project management, the technical lead and business development as well as with our team in the lab and our customers.
- You are organized and structured.
- You have good reporting skills.
- You are comfortable presenting our work at (international) meetings and events.
- You enjoy exploring and discussing solutions to scientific challenges in your area of expertise
What you'll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 4.000,- and € 5.200,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer.
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 14th of December, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.