At TNO electrical engineers work on a wide range of themes, with a focus on signal processing, control technology, automation software development and systems engineering. The know-how developed by TNO is used in practical applications up to the level of demonstrators or prototypes.
Electrical engineers at TNO work on projects such as:
- A sonar that distinguishes between different fish species;
- Self-driving car: just one of the areas where TNO is working to optimize traffic;
- Simulation tool for smart mobility to gain rapid insight into how services impact accessibility or traffic safety;
- Semiconductor equipment: to improve chip production;
- Smart grids for far-reaching integration of energy sources;
- Development of 5G for mobile telephony;
- Electromagnetic signatures: analysis and measurement to detect objects, but also to prevent objects being detected;
- Spectrum Intelligence: monitoring and analysis of signals in the electromagnetic spectrum. Detection and classification algorithms are used to create a real-time picture of who is transmitting, what is being transmitted and what the content is of the transmitted message. The application of Software Defined Radio enables the design of flexible receivers to carry out this task autonomously.
From day one, your work at TNO will involve active participation in projects and you can directly apply your knowledge of signal processing, measurement and control technology, cyber physical systems, chip design and much more to societally relevant themes. Here you will work together with other experts within and outside TNO and with clients.
At TNO you are given plenty of freedom to manage your own career. This ranges from choosing your own projects to determining the direction in which you want to develop. You always have the option of taking part in projects at other departments, too. What’s more, the projects involve plenty of variety. Each project you work on is different and so your own creativity and expertise are always required.
Get to know TNO!