What will you be doing?
TNO has a strong and internationally recognized position in modelling and monitoring the geo-energy related processes in the subsurface (oil & gas, ccs, geothermal, energy storage). The subsurface has a lot of potential for the future and so do the TNO technologies. Are you the one that can develop projects and propositions with and for clients in an international setting, based on this strong knowledge position? Can you sell ‘not invented yet’? Then we are looking for you!
As a business developer you initiate new projects and programs related to the subsurface. You will be frequently in contact with (potential) customers to discuss their technical needs and turn these into innovation projects, either bilaterally with an industrial party or by setting up consortia. With your understanding of the market you will help to formulate knowledge development plans to strengthen TNO’s future role.
Your task is to initiate and sell new projects and programs for hydrocarbons, ccs, geothermal energy and energy storage market. You establish contacts with relevant market or governmental parties based on your existing network, by visiting conferences and trade-shows in the Netherlands or abroad and by cold acquisition. With and for these parties you develop propositions based on the unique capabilities and tools of TNO. You feel comfortable to negotiate such propositions with large companies such as energy majors as well as with start-ups in renewable energy.
Your predominant focus is the Applied Geosciences group in Utrecht. This group of around 65 technical experts is involved in modeling subsurface phenomena (geophysics, geomechanics, geochemistry, subsurface flow) and in monitoring and optimization studies. Where relevant you tap into technologies and expertise from other TNO-departments.
The type of projects you will be setting up and selling will range from solving a specific technical issue at a customer to the development of new concepts or to selling of R&D software tools (e.g. for the prediction of seismic risks as a result of subsurface operations).
You are able to quickly understand and formulate the need of a (potential) customer, involve the relevant technical experts from TNO and iterate to a proposal for a project or program. If relevant you involve other stakeholders or funders to create a viable project. You will be responsible for the contracting; if needed you can rely on our legal and contracting advisors. On the other hand you develop a market proposition for existing tools and technology. Over the past years, TNO has developed unique software models for the optimization of subsurface utilization (e,g. field development) or the prediction of risks (e.g. seismicity). You will be involved in the development and execution of a market plan for these tools.
What do we require of you?
- A university degree in the field of geosciences and/or technology, supplemented by commercial experience;
- Five to ten years of work experience in a strategic commercial role, with proven track record in business-to-business project development, building public-private partnerships and the ability to develop new propositions and sell ‘industry firsts’.
- Strong affinity with and network within the energy domain, preferably geo-energy with an affinity towards an R&D/Technology oriented working environment.
- A business-minded approach, as well as negotiating, networking, management and coaching skills (also on board room level);
- Ability to think outside-the-box to develop unique business models and propositions for key innovations and identify latest trends in new forms of business models with the emergence of digital technologies.
- Proven and highly developed ability to operate both independently as well as within a team; specifically the ability to work with scientists and engineers to identify advances in research and their applicability to industrial challenges.
- Ability and experience to handle the full business development trajectory, from gathering initial market insight to actual deal closing with new partners. Work with industry partners to understand market potential of key TNO innovations and develop projects & programs around these innovations.
- International experience and mindset (including some travelling) is considered a plus. Ability to work and deal with different cultures is also considered a plus.
- Fluent in both English and Dutch language
- Willingness to travel internationally
- Ideally, you already have an effective network in the field of geo-energy
What can you expect of your work situation?
In the past decades, TNO has built and maintained an internationally leading knowledge position in the Geo Energy domain (both processing/production technology as well as geosciences were rated ‘internationally leading/dominant’ by independent international committees). TNO has built a strong position both in oil & gas as in CCUS and since recent years also in geothermal energy and energy storage. In the years to come, our ambition is to accelerate the use of the subsurface as source and buffer of sustainable geo-energy and as storage for CO2, both nationally and internationally. TNO is working with government and industry partners in developing the required knowledge in this field to achieve this acceleration.
about TNO as an employer.
What can TNO offer you?
We offer you work that is both challenging and diverse, as well as plenty of opportunities for personal development; you’ll be largely in charge of your own career. In addition to a gross monthly salary between € 3,000 and € 4,500 (depending on your expertise and level of experience), holiday pay and a thirteenth month salary, you’ll get every opportunity to develop further and explore your professional field in-depth and become a scientific specialist or continue on into alternative career paths towards for example the role of project leader. TNO also allows you to pick and choose from a ‘menu’ of employee benefits in line with your personal situation. Here are some more benefits to consider:
- The prospect of a fixed contract if all goes well.
- 28 days of annual leave and 5 days of reduced working hours (based on a full-time contract)
- Flexible working hours and the option of working from home
- The option of participating in training courses or additional schooling, and visiting conferences
- Personal coaching, should you wish it
- A travel allowance or a bicycle on loan
- Fun outings and activities, such as monthly drinks events, with your team and colleagues at your workplace, as well as other TNO facilities. These events will quickly help you get to know lots of people.
- An incredibly professional, inspiring work environment, with colleagues who are the top experts in their respective fields
- A sound retirement plan
Read all about the many employee benefits
to choose from.
You can apply till the 14th of June. The first round of interviews is scheduled on the 25th of June. The second round of interviews is scheduled for the 1st of July.The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anne-Maartje Uijl- Meijman, den
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-469 66067
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Richard Braal
Phone number: 08886 66301