What will be your role?
As business developer you have the opportunity to facilitate and drive impact through raising sustainable innovative projects.
- You initiate and develop activities to build new propositions; by investigating relevant expertise areas and innovations within TNO matching with market demands in developing countries;
- You build a network with potential partners organisations and tap their needs and demands;
- You are responsible for the development of partnerships and innovative projects linked to those propositions. You will work in close collaboration with TNO colleagues on content, financial, IP and legal issues;
- You are responsible to secure (co)funding for the innovative projects;
- You develop ambitions plans to realize these propositions, partnerships, projects and funding and work independently on the realization of this plan;
- You are responsible for monitoring progress of your efforts, including reporting, administration and communications of your activities and successes externally and internally;
- You will contribute to the vision and strategy of the overall Innovation for Development program and be ambassador for Inclusive Innovation program internally and externally;
- You will report to the Program manager Innovation for Development.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
You are familiar with the context in developing countries, the market demands, funding possibilities and the business models matching with low-income groups. You have a master degree and minimum of 7 years professional experience in international business development and/or social entrepreneurship, working in complex multi-stakeholder settings and organizing funding/ investment capital for innovation projects and businesses. You have strong collaborative, relationship and influencing skills with a broad range of stakeholders. You are business driven, curious for new innovations and eager to reach social impact. With a can-do mentality and sense of humor. You work independent, take initiatives and find your way in a large, sometimes complex organization. You are excellent in Dutch and English writing and oral communication and willing to travel (3-5 times a year).
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. Combining business with Impact. Part of dynamic team, with lots of autonomy and having access to the innovative power of 3600 colleagues. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary based on your knowledge and experience, 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme;
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field;
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis;
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly;
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home;
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world.Read more about TNO as an employer
As Business Developer Inclusive Innovation you are positioned in the TNO program Innovation for Development. This is a TNO wide program focusing on applied innovations in developing countries; mainly Africa and Asia. Currently, 16 projects are running realizing impact at most vulnerable groups by for instance setting up a value chain for cricket rearing in Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda, implementing circular solutions for waste in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Malawi, development of biodegradable sanitary napkins in Bangladesh, improving health care for pregnant women and kids in Ghana and Indonesia and renewable energy solutions in Indonesia. We select innovations that can have impact in developing countries and in the Netherlands as well and operate in international public-private partnerships. Role of TNO in those hands-on projects is to bring in new technology, social services, business modelling, project management and to foster collaboration and joint impact creation. It will be your responsibility to match TNO knowledge technology to the demands in developing countries, to form new partnerships, to create projects, to organize funding and to organize a project team within TNO. We have the ambition to grow and with your efforts our team will realize new partnerships, projects, business and impact.
The innovation for Development (I4D) team is a virtual team throughout the full organization lead by a program manager. Three business developers are part-time linked to the program and 60 TNO colleagues are involved in implementing the projects. We are hiring for an extra business developer dedicated to I4D, who acts TNO-wide on all expertise areas, teaming up with the program manager, other TNO business developers and TNO colleagues based in 9 units.
The selection process
You can apply till July 12. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. First two interview rounds and then an assessment or presentation. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Heleen Stork
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-515 34922
Hiring manager: Mathilde Miedema
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31 (0)6 512 15400