What will be your role?
As Business Developer Maritime Structures, you will be the linchpin between the maritime sector and our specialists in the structural reliability of ships and offshore structures. In close collaboration with the market, government institutions and knowledge partners, you will develop research projects that contribute to the innovative capacity of the sector.
As business developer, you will work in the Buildings, Infrastructure & Maritime Unit (BI&M). The unit’s market team, which you as a business developer will be part of, is responsible for developing projects and research programmes, maintaining external relations and representing TNO in relevant networks. The unit’s portfolio is divided into six clusters. The Maritime Structures cluster focuses on the maritime sector. For this cluster of activities, you will be responsible for all business development activities. You will do this in close collaboration with all members of staff connected to the cluster and will play a guiding role.
The Business Developer Maritime Structures:
- Develops innovative programmes and projects for and with our clients and concludes contracts that fit within the TNO strategy;
- Opens doors and maintains lasting relations and contacts with existing and new clients and market players, in line with the chosen strategy;
- Understands the needs of market players and is able to translate these into relevant projects and programmes for TNO;
- Builds strategic collaborations with our knowledge partners;
- Represents TNO in relevant network organisations;
- Maintains internal TNO relations with business developers and experts from other units and actively seeks to collaborate across units;
- Manages business development processes: from initiation to completion of the transaction, including contract negotiations;
- Actively guides the lead acquisition process: for example, business intelligence, market strategies and market plans;
- Encourages and inspires others concerning market orientation and entrepreneurship.
In what areas and networks will you be active?
At TNO, we work on the reliability, safety, performance and service life of ships, offshore platforms and offshore wind turbines. We understand the dynamic load of these structures, how these structures react and how they can fail as a result of this load. We also have knowledge of the various degradation mechanisms that occur under maritime conditions. For the assessment of the safety of the transport of hazardous substances and the use of new fuels, we have knowledge of the behaviour of materials, bunkering tanks and other equipment under extreme conditions. To this end, we also have expertise in the field of crashworthiness.
Thanks to our well-equipped mechanical lab, practical and theoretical knowledge go hand in hand and we are in a position to solve the most complex problems. With our experience of offshore measurements and monitoring expertise, we regularly carry out tests on site.
We do not do this alone, but in close collaboration with universities, market players and government institutions. We are active in two Top Consortia for Knowledge and Innovation (TKIs): Maritime and Wind at Sea. We are also a member of Grow (a programme for research into offshore wind) and a member of Maritime by Holland. Marin and TU Delft are important knowledge partners.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
You are an enthusiastic professional with a strong network in the maritime sector, who combines a technical and sales background with entrepreneurial spirit. You are also creative, self-starting and a team player. Also of importance:
What competences are required?Customer-orientation
- Preferably you have graduated in the field of Shipbuilding, Mechanical Engineering or Offshore Engineering, supplemented with commercial and business economic knowledge through study and/or experience;
- Ideally, you combine this with a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience;
- You have proven experience with sales/development projects in a complex environment;
- You are able to understand the needs of our clients relatively quickly and to bring the right people together within TNO. Your primary focus is the client and the market while keeping in touch with the internal organisation. You have a high level of empathy for the client and know how to convey this to the TNO organisation;
- You have an excellent command of spoken and written Dutch.
For this position, customer-orientation is key.
You connect easily and are able to foster collaboration both externally and internally within TNO.Communication skills
This involves a clear and direct way of communicating, which you combine with the ability to listen and to put yourself in another's shoes. Your approach builds trust and leads to valuable interactions and relationships.Result-orientation
It goes without saying that the result is also important and that you are expected to be able to complete projects effectively.Negotiation skills
To this end, experience in business negotiations is important. This also requires awareness of the environment in which you operate: which interests play a role internally and externally and must be taken into account in order to arrive at a successful and supported proposal? It is also important to be critical and decisive when it comes to the timely termination of acquisition projects.
To be able to represent TNO in the sector, it is important that you are a real networker and combine this with the required customer-orientation and entrepreneurship. All these qualities together make you a complete partner for our clients and a linchpin in our organisation.
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.700,- and € 5.800,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a leased car.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
The selection process
Please apply before September 29. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Frank Bax
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6 113 20080
Hiring manager: Peter Paul Veen, van 't
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: 08886 65367