Deputy Research Manager Acoustics & Sonar (A&S)
Education typeuniversity (wo)
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
We are looking for an devoted colleague who will help lead the Acoustics & Sonar group as Deputy Research Manager. Together with the research manager you will keep a keen eye on all aspects of the department, from strategy to operations and from planning to implementation. You will also be co-in charge of personnel matters, and help the group’s employees to fulfil their personal development ambitions. As deputy research manager, you will understand the ample outlines of what the group is working on and help create the perfect conditions for them to achieve results in the best way feasible. The detailed division of responsibilities between you and the research manager will be made based on your own ambitions, talents and development goals. Acoustics & Sonar (A&S) is the department where all the acoustic expertise comes together. The group consists of approximately 85 people, including the people from the electro-mechanical workshop. The department covers a wide range of topics, from sonar applications and noise control to ultrasonic systems. We can measure sound, model sound and predict how it propagates through water and air. We use sound to our advantage for finding objects, such as submarines, sea mines, fish, boulders, etc.. Sometimes sound can be a nuisance and have inconvenient effects if it is perceived as too loud. In these cases we know how to reduce the sound levels and to design measures to decrease the inconvenient effects for both humans and sea mammals. For measurements and monitoring in the field and at sea we possess a large variety of innovative equipment. We also have an acoustic basin at our premises. For realizing prototypes and small series of TRL-9 systems, we have employees that deal with the manufacturing of electro-mechanical equipment, and we have system engineers and software programmers. Our people are key to achieving our ambitions, which is why we give them a lot of attention and set good standards on personal and professional development.
What will be your role?
- Being the important sparring partner of the Research Manager;
- HR and personal development of group members;
- Stimulating cooperation within the group and within the unit;
- Implementation of the yearly plan;
- Project monitoring;
- Planning of resources;
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- You’re an authentic connector with a focus on collaboration. You ensure a positive atmosphere in the group. You communicate easy and have an eye towards the shared interest.
- You like to take initiative and put appropriate aspects on the agenda, like stress, feedback, etc.
- Through your personal authority and communication skills, you’re able to get things done. Both within the department, but also on a managerial level.
- You’re able to work independently and possess problem-solving skills. You’re able to structure and organise your work and to take decisions.
- You’re able to flexibly execute a wide range of tasks. But, you are also aware of your own boundaries and are able to guard them.
- You have an keen interest in technology. You are able to understand the demands in both the Defence domain and the civil domain.
What you’ll get in return
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance.
- Prospect of a permanent contract.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
TNO as an employer
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before June 9, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Heleen Stork
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-515 34922
Hiring manager: Caspar Lageweg
Phone number: 08886 61013