The European Union is very important for TNO, as a multiplier in terms of knowledge, for our network as well as financially. We are looking for someone who loves to guide and direct us, to position ourselves the best way in EU context.
What will you be doing?
As EU Manager for the Unit ICT, you will be coordinating the development of our EU related activities. You are the ‘EU linchpin’ for the Unit ICT.
The function is equally externally and internally oriented, since your role is to align the ambition of the Unit ICT with developments at EU level. By translating the EU developments into opportunities for the Unit (outside-in). But as well by organizing the lobby towards the EU for the Unit’s most important themes (inside-out).
The function consists of three main clusters of responsibilities:
- Supporting and organizing operational activities for colleagues in their European activities (proposal preparation, etc.): You coordinate the operational process of proposal preparation and with a focus on increasing the excellence and impact quality, and ultimately achieve higher success rates in Europe. Starting from the identifying opportunities in European research programs and discussing them with the unit’s portfolio teams, you fulfill a monitoring function towards the submission process. If needed you engage in the first step of proposal preparation. You ensure EU topics are well addressed and help finding partners. You provide proposal managers with guidance in terms of content and process. You organize RVO proposal reviews, and engage in the reviews yourself. You maintain the future and current funnel of EU proposals, and report the results regularly to the Management Team. You analyze the proposal submissions results and propose corrective actions. You are the internal contact point for EU Corporate, other Units EU Managers, Unit Project Control and Unit IP & Contracting departments.
- Advising the Unit Management Team on the proposed approach toward the EU: you support the Management team in defining the tactical ambition of the Unit in Europe, as well as its focus topics, in line with the Unit roadmap. You identify, translate and communicate on the most important trends and developments in Europe, especially with respect to the new EU programs (Horizon Europe, Digital Europe, Structural Funds, etc. You are supported in this by the Corporate EU TeamAssuring and maintaining contact with the European Institutions, European partners and other relevant stakeholders: you support the developments of EU activities on the chosen topics and engage in the relevant networks in Brussels and in the Netherlands (European Commission, Public Private Partnerships, European Partners, RVO). You mobilize and support colleagues in their lobby activities (working visits to the Commission, dissemination workshops, etc.), coordinating consultations and future work programs review. You keep track of the EU events relevant to the ICT domain, participate and coordinate TNO’s participation in European events and conferences.
- You are part of the business development team in the Unit ICT and report to the Market Director of the Unit. Furthermore you are part of a TNO wide group of EU Managers (1 per TNO unit), coordinated by the Director of European Affairs. The EU Corporate Team will support you in many aspects such as generic EU developments, best practices, communication, coaching & training.
What do we require of you?
You will need to develop a good understanding of the Unit ICT portfolio, and a sound interest for the TNO portfolio as a whole. Of course you are willing to travel regularly to Brussel and within the EU.
- You have a minimum of 3 years work experience relating to EU;
- You are passionate about innovation and want to participate in the European construction;
- You have experience with EU-research programs and preferably with TNO activities;
- You have a demonstrable affinity with technology and policy.
- Value/impact: You are able to convincingly articulate the added value of our research and portfolio in terms of EU stakeholders;
- Cooperation/relations: You are able to open doors and enjoy networking with people. Within and outside TNO. You connect people to identify new opportunities and build and maintain long term relationships with key stakeholders;
- Communication/Influencing: You are capable to use broad arsenal of influencing styles and use these styles in communication, negotiation and persuasion contexts;
- External awareness: You are well informed about societal, political and economic developments and you use this information in your function;
- Self-starting and self-managing: You are a challenger and display an entrepreneurial drive to influence development agenda’s, also through forming a ‘coalition of the willing’;
- Organizational power: You are good at mobilizing people to join self-organized meetings/events;
- You have excellent communication and persuasion skills in both English as well as Dutch;
- Professional with a wink, you truly enjoy social interaction and keep your head cool in stressful situations.
What can you expect of your work situation?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Heleen Stork
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-515 34922
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Berry Vetjens
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 67313