What will be your role?
During your internship you will be developing an algorithm to convert battery pack measurements from a diagnostic function into an indication of that battery’s health. Knowing a battery’s health status is key to extending its lifetime, which ultimately is the goal of this development. The challenge of this internship lies in the conversion, to convert measurements on the battery pack level into battery health parameters at the battery cell level. The task includes algorithm development and validation testing on a state-of-the-art battery module at our battery test facilities.
Your internship will be supporting TNO’s activities in the European project iSTORMY, in which multiple parties from industry and academia will be realizing and demonstrating a hybrid energy storage system, utilizing multiple chemistries of lithium-ion batteries. You will be supporting TNO’s efforts to create an active battery diagnostic algorithm that will manipulate the available power electronics to periodically scan the battery health of the iSTORMY demonstration system.
- Researching and developing the conversion algorithm. Researching the available methods to convert measurements into battery health parameters. Applying these methods to create an algorithm ready to be integrated into the active battery diagnostic protocol.
- Design, set-up and conduct validation experiments for the algorithm, on a state-of-the-art battery module, at the TNO Powertrains Test Centre laboratory.
- Report on the performance and potential of the chosen method, including directions for future research and development.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, for example automotive engineering, systems and control, electrical engineering.
- You are coursing a master in a relevant field, for example automotive engineering, systems and control, electrical engineering.
- Knowledge of Matlab/Simulink.
- You enjoy developing innovative solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and pragmatism.
What you’ll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
The selection process
Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Contact: Róbinson Medina Sánchez
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31 (0)6-116 63551