What will be your role?
Commercial crystalline silicon solar cells that are currently manufactured in high volumes reach efficiencies beyond 22%. This efficiency is mainly limited by losses in functional layers and at interfaces. Developing advanced technologies to reduce these losses are important to increase the efficiency and, moreover, to enhance the annual energy output. Currently, novel coatings are explored to maximize the surface passivating quality and simultaneously maximize the carrier selectivity: so-called passivating carrier selective contacts. An example of a passivating carrier selective contact is MoOx, that can be deposited at TNO with a unique Pulsed Laser Deposition (PLD) tool. Because these contacts are highly transparent, parasitic absorption losses are low. Optimization of this kind of layers enable efficiencies beyond 25%, using a simple cell process.
Your contribution to this research topic will consist of
- optimization of the PLD (and other) processes;
- characterization of the functionality of the layers;
- integration in the solar cell process;
- analysis and discussion of the results.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- The duration of this project should be 6 months or more, preferably resulting in a MSc thesis;
- A background in physics, chemistry, material science or equivalent (solid background in physics required);
- Interest in the energy transition;
- High motivation, with a curious nature and a taste for problem-solving;
- Ability to work autonomously within a team and good social skills to exchange information between yourself and the most knowledgeable people around you;
- Good communication (in English);
- You need to be affiliated with a university for eligibility.
What you’ll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; an internship gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your internship and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable internship compensation.
TNO as an employer
You will work in an international team of highly motivated scientists and engineers with the aim to develop emerging technologies for future crystalline silicon solar cells. We discuss the challenges in an open environment, support each other, and think in solutions.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us..
Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Contact: Agnes Mewe
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31650009596