What will you be doing?
ECN.TNO has developed a software called ECN Despatch to optimise the planning of the daily O&M activities. With the open work orders (what type of work on which wind turbine component, for how many man-hours), resource available (e.g. vessels, technicians) and weather forecast as inputs, the software generates the optimal transfer plans (the time of each work being performed, as well as the vessel and technicians employed for the work) based on the optimisation target (e.g. minimizing energy loss).
This software is being tested in a Chinese wind farm. The historical O&M data (planned by the operator, without using the software) and the SCADA data is provided by the O&M team of the wind farm. ECN.TNO needs to analyze the benefit of using the software – what the improvement would be in terms of O&M performance if the software were used during that historical period.
Internship / Graduation project task
- Data processing and analysis: Check the consistency and correctness of the O&M data (by comparing with the SCADA data and environmental conditions), understand how the wind farm is operated & maintained, and extract useful information for the simulation & optimisation in the later phase.
- Validation of the simulator: Simulate the historical O&M activities of this wind farm in ECN Despatch and validate the results against the historical O&M data.
- Analysis of the optimisation results: With the historical work orders as inputs, use ECN Despatch to optimise the transfer plans. Compare the optimised transfer plans with the actual (historical) transfer plans, and analyse if the software makes better planning than the wind farm operator. Furthermore, investigate how different objectives affect the choice of optimal plan.
What do we require of you?
- strong interest and motivation in this project;
- excellent analytical skills;
- excellent data processing skills;
- fast learner.
Last but nog least: Your activities are carried out in an international framework which requires a good knowledge of the English language.
What can you expect of your work situation?
Your work will be carried out in our Wind Energy department in Petten, with approximately 60 enthusiastic, academic or bachelor professionals who have in-depth knowledge of wind energy technology. Your work at TNO will be supervised by one or two of these Wind Energy experts. Where possible your activities are connected to our projects. These projects can have a research orientation but we also have projects with a strong industrial focus. An exciting example of an ECN.TNO wind project are the measurements done on the largest wind turbine ever.
Clym Stock-Williams (Researcher/Consultant in Installation, O&M Offshore Wind Farms). Background physics and data science. Has been working for ECN/TNO for 3 years.
Bo Hu (Researcher/Consultant in Installation, O&M Offshore Wind Farms).
Background aerospace engineering and wind energy engineering. Has been working for ECN/TNO for 3 years.
Start as soon as possible, for 3 months.TNO, ECN Part of TNO, Wind Energy Group
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career, an internship provides you with the opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO also goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us, you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your internship, and be given the scope for you to exceed yourself and your expectations. We also provide suitable compensation for internships. Click here
to find more info about internships at TNO.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Novita Saraswati
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 63167