What will you be doing?
The focus of this research project is to apply one or more techniques to automatically develop and validate a supervisory machine controller for a platoon of vehicles. This should be done in such a way that the resulting state machine is non-blocking (deadlock and live-lock free) and ensures reachability, no unobservable events exit, computational time and other specified targets.
To give an advice to TNO on how to do this, your assignment is to research available methods, select promising options and benchmark them into a simulation environment. The following steps should be followed:
- Literature review, overview of methods for modeling the high-level behavior of a platoon (or other complex system), e.g. state machines.
- Design control requirements at vehicle level
- Derive supervisory control requirements for a L2-L4 platooning application (example provided by TNO)
- Select a promising method and automatically synthesize the supervisory controller.
- Report and final presentation, preferably in short article format.
What do we require of you?
- Good communication in English
- Pro-active, Creative mind
- Matlab, Simulink or similar
- Interest in (formal) system analysis
- Eager to solve complex problems and to dive into details
- Research oriented (interested in new challenging problems
What can you expect of your work situation?
You will work at the Integrated Vehicle Safety department
of TNO on the Automotive Campus in Helmond. In this department people are working on developing software for automated driving vehicles. The developed software is tested in pilots and on the public road. The people are young, enthusiastic and driven. You will work in an open area, within your own team. One of our employees will be your mentor. He will help you to get acquainted with the department and give you guidelines for your research in order to help you to get the best out of it.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career, an internship provides you with the opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO also goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us, you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your internship, and be given the scope for you to exceed yourself and your expectations. We also provide suitable compensation for internships. Click here
to find more info about internships at TNO.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Shreya Vora
Phone number: +31(0)6-153 95171