Are you interested in contributing to a more sustainable future? In the powertrains department, we work to develop modern means of transport such that they meet strict gas regulations and contribute to a greener future.
What will you be doing?
Within the European project HiPerform, TNO is developing a Charger in the Loop (CiL) setup which allows to test DC chargers of electric vehicles under different conditions (e.g. different vehicles, charging requirements, etc.). The CiL is equipped with a vehicle emulator (I.e. battery emulator hardware, communication modules), a portable fast DC charger, sensing equipment, among others. The software used to control the vehicle part of the CiL was developed in Matlab Simulink. The communication of multiple hardware components is made via the CAN protocol. Your main task will be to create and test an embedded implementation of the control software, using the rapid prototyping tools provided by Simulink.
- Embedding the current Simulink software into a RaspberryPi. The resulting embedded implementation has to be capable of using CAN interfaces available on the raspberry Pi and has to meet strict timing requirements to operate with the other modules in the CiL.
- Create an HMI interface in the embedded software that allows to monitor the status of the vehicle.
- Create an interface using CANAnalyser software, which allows to test the newly developed embedded software. A proper GUI has to be developed in this software.
- Reporting on the software usage and problems/solutions found.
What do we require of you?
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, for example automotive engineering, electrical engineering.
- You are coursing a master in a relevant field, for example automotive engineering, embedded systems, electrical engineering.
- You are familiar with communications made via CAN protocol.
- You have broad experience in Matlab/Simulink.
- You enjoy developing practical solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and pragmatism.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness. You will work together with a team of enthusiastic scientists on a relevant topic in the automotive industry. You will have the opportunity of using some of industrial automotive related tools. The results will be used in a large European project in which we collaborate with key partners in the automotive field, including several OEMs.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Róbinson Medina Sánchez
Phone number: +31 (0)6-116 63551