Internship | Front-end techno-economic and environmental analysis for CCU technologies
Education typeuniversity (wo)
TypeInternship and graduation project
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
The contribution of renewable energy sources in the total energy generation mix is steadily rising. One of the issues of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind, is intermittency and therefore electricity price variation. Cheap electricity improves the business case of electrochemical production of chemicals as they usually require significant energy for chemical conversions. Additionally, electrochemical production and utilisation of renewable electricity and bio-based renewable chemicals improves significantly sustainability of the production. At TNO, we focus on the development of electrochemical conversion processes, which includes fundamental studies, followed by optimisation of the electrochemical system to industrially relevant and economically feasible conditions, techno-economic analysis and up-scaling.
What will be your role?
The intention with this analysis is to identify what are the most business-critical pathways for the valorisation of CO2, from an economic, technological feasibility, and environmentally friendliness perspectives. Conceptual process design needs to be applied per technology-product combination, paying special attention to the upstream and downstream sections, and the possible process integration options.
Given the low Technology Readiness Level (RTL) of some CCU technologies, cost projections and future performance indicators for these low-TRL systems need to be elaborated based on literature data of similar technologies (e.g.: alkaline water electrolysis, chlor-alkali, etc.).
To assess the environmental impact and the effect of the energy policies on the feasibility of CCU technologies, a scenario analysis needs to be carried out, identifying the breakeven point in energy carbon footprint and cost. As well, a sensitivity analysis will be performed to understand the extent of the impact of process parameters on the techno-economic feasibility of the different routes.
Orderly and structured reporting and communication of the results is expected.
The ideal duration of the project is 9 months, but there are possibilities for shorter (3 to 6 months) projects as well.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- You are coursing a master in a relevant field, for example mechanical engineering, automotive engineering, chemical engineering.
- You are familiar with the chemical process industry and can design new process concepts from scratch.
- You are enthusiastic and eager to learn about CCU technologies.
- Good communication skills in English, particularly for presenting your work and writing reports, is expected.
- You can show a great deal of autonomy and have a structured approach in your work.
- You can deal with uncertainties and a broad scope during the project.
- You enjoy developing innovative solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and pragmatism.
- You have a mastery in data processing & analysis software (Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, Python, Power BI, Tableau, etc.).
What you’ll get in return
TNO as an employer
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Contact: Carlos Sánchez Martínez
Phone number: +31 (0)88 86 62633