What will you be doing?
In this project, you will evaluate the potential effects of key materials on present and innovative wind energy technologies to the expected worldwide deployment of wind turbines. Furthermore, the objectives of this project are
- Assess the future availability and cost of materials for offshore wind energy technologies (including analysis of the steady-state conditions, new technologies like airborne and floating)
- Research into new materials, durability and damage tolerance, circularity, and availability will enable larger, lower cost and more reliable turbines, a more efficient supply chain, and a lower impact on the environment.
The internship or graduation tasks:
- Literature survey on key (incl. critical and scarce) material in wind energy (esp. offshore wind)
- Research the impact during steady-state (up to 2050) and their potential alternatives
- Extend the research to new technology (airborne, floating, etc.)
- Together with TNO researcher, build LCA model to evaluate the environmental impact of these materials and their potential alternatives
- A final report and presentation will be prepared and written
- If appropriate, work with academic and industrial supervisors to publish any new developments.
What do we require of you?
Your work will be carried out in our Wind Energy department in Petten and/or Delft, with approximately 60 enthusiastic, academic professionals who have in-depth knowledge of wind energy technology. Your work at TNO will be supervised by one or two of these Wind Energy experts. Where possible your activities are connected to our projects. These projects can have a research orientation but we also have projects with a strong industrial focus.
We are looking for MSc students in sustainable energy technology, environmental science, or related disciplines, with the following characteristics:
- Enthusiasm for research and technology development.
- Interest in sustainable energy, environmental.
- Motivation to run your project autonomously.
- Knowledge of wind turbines and or life cycle assessment is an advantage but not mandatory.
- Knowledge of SimaPro or willingness to learn this.
- Good command of the English language
- Availability to work full-time (40 hrs a week) from 6 to 9 months
- Project could start as early as January 2020
If you are the one that we are looking for, please submit your CV and motivation letter in English.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Novita Saraswati
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 63167