What will be your role?
Are you interested in contributing to a more sustainable future? In the powertrains department, we work to develop modern means of transport such that they meet strict gas regulations and contribute to a greener future.
The powertrains department of TNO is continuously working on the development of transportation systems with zero emissions. Among other topics, the powertrains department focuses on the development of Battery Management Systems (BMS) for electric and hybrid electric vehicles. Since these BMS algorithms have to operate within an embedded system, they are constrained by memory and computational complexity.
The goal of this assignment is to find methods to simplify these algorithms and implement them in a BMS platform without affecting the accuracy/performance of the system. The implementation must work in real-time while a battery module is subjected to its required drive cycle.
You’ll start by familiarizing yourself with the topic and learn about foxBMS (the embedded platform used at TNO). You’ll have to familiarize yourself with the algorithms that have to be implemented. You’ll investigate different methods that can address the problem and assess the advantages/disadvantages of using them.
Based on the literature review you’ll define the outline of the method that’ll be implemented. You’ll be required to validate the implementation during the real time testing on a battery module. You’ll compile the observations in a report and a presentation for dissemination and also in-fulfilment of your Master’s program.
- Literature survey and knowledge development
- Familiarize yourself with hardware and software of foxBMS
- Familiarize yourself with relevant BMS algorithms within TNO
- Familiarize yourself with existing solutions for similar problem
- Project outline
- Define the method that is best suited for the problem
- Method implementation
- Implement the updated algorithm in MATLAB
- Implement the updated algorithm in foxBMS
- Evaluation of the functioning of the algorithm during real-time battery testing
- Document the findings of the project in a report
- Compose a short presentation covering the most relevant parts of the project
- Create an instruction document summarizing the implementation
- Generate the final version of the code with relevant comments
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, for example automotive engineering, computer science, systems and control, electrical engineering.
- You are coursing a master in a relevant field, for example embedded systems, automotive engineering, computer science, systems and control, electrical engineering
- Knowledge in Matlab/Simulink
- Knowledge of C/C++
- Knowledge of sparse matrices and their implementation in MATLAB and embedded systems
- You enjoy developing innovative solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and pragmatism.
What you’ll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Contact: Jeet Rath
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31 (0)6 114 37550