What will you be doing?
The waste heat from industrial processes is an undervalued resource, that if exploited, could result in large energy savings. Typically, the waste heat produced by processes is at too low a temperature level to be reused and is therefore discarded to the ambient. Industrial heat pumps are a rapidly developing technology that are able to upgrade the temperature of waste heat to be reused in the process, leading to a direct reduction in primary energy use.
During the design of a heat pump, the manufacturer is subjected to a conflicting tradeoff in the form of minimizing both CAPEX and OPEX costs. Adequately balancing this tradeoff is vital to determining the business case for the end-user. To gain further insights into the tradeoffs associated with heat pump design, TNO is seeking a Master's or Bachelors' student to conduct a 3 month internship on this topic. The prospective student will conduct the following activities:
- Utilise available software packages to model heat pump systems based on a first principal approach
- Develop cost models for various components and overall heat pump systems based on a limited number of parameters
- Perform detailed thermo-economic evaluations using the coupled models, including determining optimum system designs
- Provide recommendations for minimizing the overall cost of ownership for an industrial heat pump system
- Disseminate your work internally within TNO, as well as to external audiences
What do we require of you?
- You have a strong affinity for thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and heat transfer;
- You have experience with programming in various languages;
- You are analytical and capable of working autonomously;
- Good communication skills, particularly technical writing skills in English;
- You are enthusiastic and energetic about technical work and like to share knowledge in this area.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
We will provide an interesting and challenging internship where you will be exposed to numerous ongoing projects. You will be located in Petten and coached by highly experienced TNO employees. In addition, most of the time multiple student projects are running simultaneously, allowing for interaction with fellow students. Finally, TNO provides both a student allowance and an additional housing allowance for students living too far from TNO to commute on a daily basis.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Andrew Marina
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 62771