Internship | Machine Learning for Hierarchical Task Networks
Education typeuniversity (wo)
TypeInternship and graduation project
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
The Dutch Ministry of Defence continuously innovates their operations with new development in the area of AI. At the forefront are autonomous vehicles and drones, and planning systems that use sensors to assess the current state of the mission. For both of these, Hierarchical Task Networks (HTNs) (Rasmussen, J., et al., 1994) are and often used techniques. HTNs combine military doctrine with explainable and executable models, which are able to create realistic military behavior based on doctrine. Usually, the HTN is designed by an expert, and Machine Learning (ML) only optimizes the parameters.
What will be your role?
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- You are following a master in a relevant field, for example artificial intelligence, data science, knowledge engineering, etc.
- You are familiar with the basics in Machine Learning, such as Genetic Algorithms and Reinforcement Learning
- You have an affinity with the military domain
- Good communication skills in English and/or Dutch
- You can show a great deal of autonomy and have a structured approach in your work.
- You can deal with uncertainties and a broad scope during the project.
- You enjoy developing innovative solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and pragmatism.
What you’ll get in return
TNO as an employer
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
After the first CV selection, the application process will be conducted by the concerning department. TNO will provide a suitable internship agreement. If you have any questions about this vacancy, you can contact the contact person mentioned below.
For this internship vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance (VGB) after conducting a security screening. Take into account that this process may take about 8 weeks. If you have been abroad for more than 6 consecutive months, or if you do not have the Dutch nationality, it may take longer. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Contact: Jeroen Voogd
Phone number: +31 (0)88 86 63971