What will you be doing?
The mechanical properties of polymers are quite important in applications such as additive manufacturing. However these properties are strongly influenced by process conditions. Therefore, characterization methods are essential to correctly understand the mechanical properties of polymers, which is also the first step in the digitalization of material development.
At present standard methods have been well developed for elastic behaviors. However, characterization on nonlinear behavior, such as nonlinear viscoelasticity and viscoplasticity, are still quite challenging. The objective of this project is to develop a characterization method on nonlinear mechanical properties of polymers. It consists of:
- Investigating literature on characterization methods of viscoelastic/viscoplastic materials.
- Selecting a suitable method based on several criterions.
- Preparing samples by injection molding or 3D printing and performing the mechanical tests on these samples.
- Analyzing the experimental result and discussing with the supervisors. If possible, explaining the deviations, the error sources etc.
- Documenting the results in a technical report.
The duration of this internship is 6 months.
What do we require of you?
- You are a student in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science or Chemistry (focusing on polymer mechanics).
- Prior experience with mechanical testing of polymers is preferred. In addition familiarity with viscoelasticity and viscoplasticity is a big advantage.
- Being acquainted with basic processing data (in softwares like Matlab, Excel) and statistical analysis will be helpful in interpreting data.
- Communication and documentation is expected to be in English.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organization whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organizations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. The Materials Solution department enables engineers and scientists of different disciplines to foster innovation within industry. You will participate of the success of the Brightlands Materials Centre (BMC –a recent collaboration between TNO and Chemelot Scientific Participations) in Geleen. We have a proactive and international working atmosphere with diverse backgrounds and multidisciplinary expertises.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Yibo Su
Phone number: +31 (0)6-116 72442