What will you be doing?
Mobility is an application areas that is highly investigated to accelerate the market share of hydrogen fuelled vehicles. The goal of this internship is to extend the simulation tool for hydrogen fuel cell (FC) vehicles to include FC degradation effects and/or FC diagnostics approaches.
You will implement degradation models for hydrogen fuel cell system into an in-house, physics based fuel cell model. For this purpose various degradation mechanisms from the literature need to implemented and tested. The base fuel cell model will be provided. The results will be verified/validated making use of measurement data.
The hydrogen fuel cell model and simulation results will be used to improve understanding of the fuel cell degradation processes in relation to operating conditions. Based on this model, diagnostics for state-of-health of the fuel cell can be developed. This will help to increase the lifetime of a fuel cell system, which will enable the cost-effective use of hydrogen fuel cell systems for commercial vehicles.
In this project, the following activities are foreseen:
- Literature survey on degradation models
- Familiarize with TNO’s fuel cell model
- Implement degradation models into the main fuel cell model
- Simulation of hydrogen fuel cell at a variety of conditions
- Validation of the model with existing experimental data
- Parameter variation study to understand degradation process sensitivities
- Analysis simulation results
- Report writing and presentation of results at TNO
What do we require of you?
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, for example mechanical engineering, automotive engineering, chemical engineering.
- You are coursing a master in a relevant field, for example mechanical engineering, automotive engineering, chemical engineering.
- Experience with and knowledge about Matlab.
- You enjoy developing innovative solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and pragmatism.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
You will work together with a team of enthusiastic experts on a very relevant topic in the automotive industry. The results will be used in running/new projects regarding hydrogen for mobility research within TNO.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Róbinson Medina Sánchez
Phone number: +31 (0)6-116 63551