We aims to quantify and understand the influence of chemical and relate to health areas. We are continuously looking for students interested in the domains modelling, statistics and data management & integration.
What will you be doing?
Within the department RAPID, we study the influence of all aspects of our personal and work environment on our health, with the emphasis on the influence of chemicals such as exposure to benzene and/or nanoparticles. ‘Technology cluster Modelling & Statistics’ (TC MOST) is a team that aims to quantify and understand this influence using data analysis, modelling and statistics. However, TC MOST also ventures out to related health areas, such as the development of drugs and the modelling of diabetes type-2 and the prevention of burn-out problems. Our own developed online DIAMONDS platform helps managing and integrating data, knowledge and algorithms. TC MOST is continuously looking for students interested in an internship in one of the following domains:
- Modelling. To study the effect of interventions, changes in behavior or changes in the environment, we model the relations between variables and properties. We visualize the relations between biological and physiological health-parameters using for example machine learning tools, such as random forest models, neural networks and network analyses. Also physiologically-based pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic (PBPK/PD) models are developed and used. Where possible, we aim to integrate expert driven and data driven approaches.
- Statistics. To test our models or effects found in experimental or quasi-experimental studies, statistics plays a crucial role. TC MOST uses data analysis and statistics in its broadest form: multivariate data analysis (study of large datasets), time series analysis (study of data collected over time), design of experiments (gain the maximum amount of information from the minimal amount of experiments) and N=1 analysis (compare timepoints for the same individual or object) are some of the examples. These methods are used to create integrated approaches that combine modelling and statistics, such as quantitative network models and healthspace models.
- Data management & integration. To collect, store and use our obtained data and models, we developed DIAMONDS. In itself, DIAMONDS combines secure data storage and retrieval, automated literature search, statistical apps and scripts, visualization of proteins and large searchable databases. DIAMONDS is used for, among others, toxicity prediction, early identification and evaluation of toxicity related to drug targets (Target Tri), and early signals for food safety.
What do we require of you?
- You are a Master’s student with a passion for data, modelling and analysis.
- You enjoy being part of a multi-disciplinary team, but can also work independently.
- You are a strong communicator.
- You have affinity with Life Sciences, knowledge of Life Sciences is an advantage.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organization whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organizations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge with a focus on practical application. We aim to create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate, and to find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, the small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) sector, large companies, service providers and non-governmental organizations. We work together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Sabina Bijlsma
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 61562