What will be your role?
In this project, you will help develop evaluate offshore wind farms with a GIS perspective. For this you will use an inhouse offshore wind cost model tool and link it with a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) platform. Calculations and visualization from the combined tools will be used in several research projects, some of them with industry.
The internship consists of the following tasks for which you will be actively working with TNO researchers:
- A literature survey on offshore wind electricity cost modelling and scenarios of Dutch offshore wind deployment roadmap.
- Integrate the inhouse cost model and other aspects such as historical weather data from various public sources with a GIS application.
- Define a few scenarios based on the offshore wind deployment roadmap and evaluate and visualize the levelized cost of offshore wind.
- Report and present findings to relevant TNO units that will benefit from the integrated tools.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
Your work will be carried out in our Wind Energy department (Petten/Delft). Due to the Corona situation you will most likely work from home, remotely supervised by one or two Wind Energy experts.
When the Corona situation improves you may work from Petten and/or Delft. The Wind Energy department houses approximately 60 enthusiastic, academic professionals who have in-depth knowledge of wind energy technology.
We are looking for MSc student(s) in technology (e.g. aerospace technology, electrical engineering or sustainable energy technology), with the following characteristics:
- Enthusiasm for research and technology development.
- Interest in wind energy and GIS applications.
- Knowledge of wind turbines/farms and cost modelling of wind energy.
- Independent working attitude.
- Knowledge of Python is a “must”.
- Good knowledge of the English language.
- Available to work at least 32 hours for a period of 3 months.
What you’ll get in return
You want to work on the precursor of your career; an internship gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your internship and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable internship compensation.
TNO as an employer
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With approximately 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
* Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Contact: Nikolaos Chrysochoidis-Antsos
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31629154634