What will you be doing?
The aim of the thesis project is to investigate rapid growth of Carbon Nano Tube(CNT) and Carbon Nano Fibers(CNF) as electrode materials for microbatteries. Activities will include investigation of various catalytic sub-layers for growth of CNTs or CNFs through chemical vapor deposition process. The focus will be on fabrication of structures on a flexible metal foils. The student will also be exposed to morphological and functional analysis techniques of the structures, which will involve measurements like SEM, EDX, etc.
Your tasks and responsibilities include:
- Literature research to benchmark the know-how present as state-of-art.
- Perform experiments in laboratory and clean room including contact Lithography and imprint-Lithography
- CNT & Thin-film analysis (SEM/EDX analysis)
- Participate in group meetings, provide feed-back, discuss results, and propose solutions to various challenging aspects
- Write intermediate experimental reports and final thesis report
What do we require of you?
- You are an ambitious master student with both scientific and practical skills looking for a thesis of at least 6-9 months.
- You have an applied physics, chemistry, material science or applied science background.
- You are pro-active and independent, at the same time a good team player and ready to take up new challenges.
- You have good communication skills in English.
What can you expect of your work situation?
You will work in an ambious team, where working together is combined with social activities. Holst Centre is an independent R&D center that develops technologies for wireless autonomous sensor technologies and for flexible electronics. It is positioned between fundamental academic research and commercial product development. Typically, results obtained within Holst Centre aim for products that will appear on the market within three to ten years. Holst Centre defines its activities based on global societal trends and emerging markets and applications. The output of our research are generic technologies and knowledge that can be relevant for a variety of application domains, like OLEDs, OPVs and also in advanced packaging. One of the new topics at TNO - Holst Centre is the development of next-generation lithium ion batteries based on innovative 3-dimensional thin-film structures, exploring all the benefits of nano-science.
What can TNO offer you?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, the SME sector, large companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Lucas Haverkate
Phone number: email@example.com