What will you be doing?
TNO recently developed an integrated risk management measure (RMM) library (ECEL v2.0) as part of the CEFIC LRI B15.2 project1,2. CEFIC, the European Chemical Industry Council, is a not-for-profit making organisation which represents large, medium and small chemical companies across Europe. Part of CEFIC’s vision is to provide sustainable, safe and resource efficient solutions. The RMM library provides access to information on risk management measures such as local exhaust ventilation and wetting systems and their quantitative effectiveness during different exposure scenarios. In 2019, the library will be further developed to refine and upgrade various technical functionalities and to develop new features (ECEL v3.0). As part of this initiative, an extensive literature review will be conducted and the library will be updated with new data. Also, the library will be subjected to a new data analysis3. We are looking for an intern who will be responsible for the environmental RMM module, but will also have the opportunity to become familiarized with the occupational RMM.
The work will involve the following, amongst others:
- conduct a literature review study using our department’s DIAMONDS platform: screening and selection of relevant studies;
- review and extraction of information from selected studies and data entry into the library;
- perform a statistical analysis of the updated library under supervision of our statistics team;
- report writing of the work performed and outcome of the data analysis.
After completion, this library will become an online webtool that will be rolled out for industry and the tool is expected to become an important information source for companies to compile dossiers under the European Chemicals policy (REACH). This internship gives you the opportunity to play a central role in developing the library!
What do we require of you?
- You are a Master’s or University of Applied Science student who is interested in (environmental) risk management measures and wants to explore different control measures that mitigate substance release to the environment.
- You are enthusiastic about working on a project that is continuously evolving and combines various disciplines to develop a practical user-friendly and web-based application.
- To work closely with a multi-disciplinary team (environmental experts, IT developers, statisticians, exposure assessors), but also thrives working independently.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge for the applied sciences and for practical applications. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, the SME sector, large companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career; a work placement gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your work placement and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable work placement compensation.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Tom Ligthart
Phone number: email@example.com