What will you be doing?
The Sustainable Urban Mobility and Safety (SUMS) department investigates the impact of mobility on our society. Our work and expertise covers both the technical domain, e.g. how existing traffic models can be adapted to account for new transport modes, as well as the policy domain, e.g. what governments should expect as a result of the rise of automated vehicles on the road.
Throughout the year we welcome students to apply for an internship position, either to carry out their master thesis research or for a stand-alone internship assignment in collaboration with TNO experts. Due to the broad nature of our work domain we welcome a broad selection of research subjects, so feel free to propose your desired internship subject and we will assess how it can fit in our department. If you have no concrete assignment in mind, do get in touch as well! We often have internship assignments that can be tailored to match your interests.
Questions that have been treated in the past include:
- What factors contribute to the appeal of Mobility as a Service?
- How can traffic from outside of the study area be modelled in an activity based model?
- How can we model truck platoons in micro-simulation models?
- Under what circumstances do people use Advanced Driver Assistance Systems?
- What can local governments expect, in terms of road use, when vehicles will be autonomous?
What do we require of you?
- A master student in the last phase of their study in the field of Civil Engineering, Transport Engineering, Econometrics, Urban Design or another related field
- Experience with data analysis is a plus, but not strictly necessary
- The ability and motivation to learn quickly
- An interest in doing research at a large, multi-disciplinary organisation
- The ability to work independently
- Full-time availability at the The Hague New Babylon office
- A minimum availability of 3 months (stand-alone internship) or 6 months (graduation project)
What can you expect of your work situation?
SUMS consists of more or less 40 researchers, consultants and software developers all with a passion for mobility and an interest in improving societal well-being.
Their diverse backgrounds and expertises create a multi-disciplinary atmosphere where you can learn and develop yourself in a broad range of directions.
Furthermore we offer you:
- Supervision by one of our TNO experts
- A monthly remuneration and a company laptop
- Periodic knowledge sharing sessions
- If your work fits our department well, a possibility to join our team after you graduate
- Fun activities with other young TNO researchers organised by JongTNO
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career, an internship provides you with the opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO also goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us, you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your internship, and be given the scope for you to exceed yourself and your expectations. We also provide suitable compensation for internships. Click here
to find more info about internships at TNO.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Bachtijar Ashari
Phone number: +31 (0)6-154 10646