What will you be doing?
Improved neural interfacing promises to dramatically improve the quality of current diagnostics, reduce side effects of treatments, or open up the potential for the realization of entirely new diagnostics and treatments. Spatially distributed read-out and stimulation of tissue requires metal electrode arrays. Current solutions have limited precision and probe either small area with high resolution or large area with low resolution. Additionally, electrical contact is also limited since today's solutions are not mechanically flexible enough to conformably follow the convoluted sulcal and gyral anatomy, i.e. grooved and ridged structure, of the brain.
Holst Centre's ultra-flexible active-matrix electrode array technology offer high precision and large area. Developed initially for foldable display applications, this student project aims to use the technology to improve neural interfacing. More specifically, the project focuses on the development and characterization of active-matrix TFT arrays on foil with three-dimensional conformability.
As a team member your tasks will be:
- Knowledge acquisition through literature survey, discussion with other team members, and internal seminars
- Performing realization and/or electrical characterization in cleanroom(s) and electrical laboratories
- Analysis and presentation of experimental data (electrical and mechanical testing)
- Documentation of results in a technical report
- Presentation of results in internal seminars
What do we require of you?
- Master student with a relevant background ranging from physics, chemistry, nanotechnology, biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, materials science, etc. with both theoretical and experimental skills.
- You have good communication skills in English
- Proactive , independent but also a team player
- Experience working in electronics is desired
What can you expect of your work situation?
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career, an internship provides you with the opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO also goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us, you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your internship, and be given the scope for you to exceed yourself and your expectations. We also provide suitable compensation for internships
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Auke Kronemeijer
Phone number: +31 (0)6-401 45001