What will you be doing?
In a project combining simulation models in the energy and financial domains, you will be developing a graphical user interface to create, edit and visualise simulation configurations and also display progress and results of a run. You have to:
- Familiarise yourself with the various components and data models used in the project.
- Collect requirements from the dashboard users and model developers.
- Research and determine the suitable technology from available, open source software options.
- Design a visualisation framework consisting of a containerised web server and scripts and motivate your choices.
- Develop, test and deploy the framework following a suitable software development lifecycle.
- Present your work internally and prepare a software documentation for TNO, encapsulating the various aspects of your work.
What do we require of you?
- Is pursuing at least a bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or similar.
- Is proficient in using a graphics editor software of your choice (Illustrator, Photoshop, Inkscape, Vectr or similar).
- Has a good understanding of developing and deploying applications in a cloud-based environment.
- Has good communication skills to interact with team members across technical and non-technical domains.
- Is passionate about learning new technologies and working independently.
- You do get brownie points if you can already show an example of your creativity with your CV/Application.
What can you expect of your work situation?
We, at Monitoring & Control Services (MCS) prove the feasibility as well as the added value of innovative applications of information technology for industry and government through an approach of first-time engineering of large scale monitoring & control systems. We view such systems from an Internet-of-Things perspective, where large amounts of heterogeneous data are generated by internet-connected infrastructures. These data need to be stored, processed and analysed to build useable information for decision-making or autonomous control. Our research group deals with the information technology challenges involved in:
- Automatic acquisition, storage and retrieval of large volumes of data across organizations.
- The continuous processing of large distributed sets of data into information using adaptive (machine-learning) algorithms from multiple parties involved in Big Data analysis.
- Predictive analytics and large scale simulation of complex model chains for decision support in different phases (from planning/design to maintenance) of the innovation cycle.
- Humans interacting with the processing of data into information within complex systems.
By developing future-proof, adaptable and scalable IT solutions, we cooperate with government bodies, enterprises, service providers and non-governmental organisations in three focus domains - Industry & Infrastructure, Sustainable Energy, and Defence to create a more efficient, greener and safer tomorrow. We are a fun and very social group of applied researchers, consultants in IT systems and processes, as well as a number of System Integration experts, located in Groningen and the Hague.
What can TNO offer you?
You want to work on the precursor of your career; an internship gives you an opportunity to take a good look at your prospective future employer. TNO goes a step further. It’s not just looking that interests us; you and your knowledge are essential to our innovation. That’s why we attach a great deal of value to your personal and professional development. You will, of course, be properly supervised during your internship and be given the scope for you to get the best out of yourself. Naturally, we provide suitable internship compensation.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Due to Covid-19 and the consequent uncertainties and restrictions, students who are not residing in the Netherlands may currently not be able to start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Contact: Edwin Matthijssen
Phone number: +31651368764