What will you be doing?
As the new Junior Crypto Specialist, you are fascinated with developing cryptographic protocols and making them usable, and are happy to learn more about new technologies and related matters. You will quickly spring into action on project teams working on innovations in the field of cryptography, and more broadly within the field of cyber security. These projects will often be with partners from outside TNO. With your robust mathematical background, your role in the projects you work on will focus on technical details. As a Junior Crypto Specialist at TNO, your role will be varied. You will work on different projects (simultaneously) together with colleagues from your own department, but also from other (IT) disciplines. Depending on your personal interests and talents, your duties may vary from contributing to (shorter term) consultancy assignments for clients to contributing to long-term research projects or a combination of this. Creating proof-of-concepts and collaborating on the development of new technology are an important part of your role. Given that, in this role, you will work a lot with and for clients, good social skills are a must.
In terms of your duties, you generally decide yourself what your role is (e.g. applied research, consultancy) and what content to focus on, and you develop into an expert in one of the fields TNO is active in.
What do we require of you?
- A third-level graduate in, preferably, Mathematics, Information Science or another technical study, and an academic way of working, with enough affinity with ICT.
- Recently graduated with a mater’s or PhD, or with less than three years’ work experience.
- A demonstrable interest in cryptography.
- Experience with popular IT platforms and tooling.
- Capable of turning your ideas into a demonstrator or proof-of-concept.
- Result- and solution-oriented.
- Communicative and skilled at giving advice.
- Creative, inventive.
What can you expect of your work situation?
The Cyber Security and Robustness (CSR) department comprises approximately 50 enthusiastic professionals. Our professionals are very knowledgeable able about (technical) cyber security, and quantitative models and algorithms, and very experienced in developing and applying innovative technology and methods. In the field of cryptography in particular, we have top-level expertise available to us and are looking for motivated researchers to help us meet the growing demand for high-quality cryptographic innovations. To do this, we work closely with partners such as universities, other knowledge institutes, service providers and product suppliers, in the Netherlands and abroad. Our contribution ranges from providing independent advice to conducting exploratory research into promising technology We also make technology usable for a specific client or context, e.g. by developing proof-of-concepts. Clients for our research include the defence sector, financial institutes, telecom service providers and industry parties operating in the mobility and logistics sector. For many of our clients, a secure and robust ICT system is a crucial to their business’ success.
In our Cryptography department, we are working on a number of innovative technologies, including:
- Secure multi-party computation: carrying out calculations on sensitive data of several parties using cryptographic techniques and without having to share these data.
- Post-quantum cryptography: research into cryptographic protocols that can withstand quantum computers.
- Quantum cryptography: research into new cryptographic techniques that will be made possible by quantum computing.
A few examples of the role played by and involvement of TNO are:
- Research into the security of new and existing systems for bank transactions.
- Research into the usability of advanced cryptographic technology (Secure multi-party computation) in the medical sector with university and industry partners.
- The development of post-quantum cryptography in a consortium of European partners.
The co-development of technology for the detection of advanced cyber attacks with various national and international partners.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Yvonne Pribnow
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-11097594
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Daniëlle Keus
Phone number: +31 (0)6-20015789