Junior IT scientist machine learning/AI defense
Contributing to new techniques for peace and safety. Envision it. Become a IT-scientist at TNO in The Hague & Groningen.
Education typeuniversity (wo)
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
Since 1947, TNO has been researching technology for Defence to improve the Dutch military capability and that of our partners. As in the civilian world, IT is becoming increasingly important for the military and this technology push will radically change military operations. If you want to contribute to the IT solutions that will support this transition, this is your chance. You will share your knowledge and invigorating ideas on software development, IT architecture, machine learning and AI with experts within TNO and Defence, and beyond. You will also work on IT solutions to complex monitoring and control challenges that are necessary for efficient and effective command. A challenging and extremely varied job in The Hague or Groningen in which you are given a lot of freedom to structure your position.
What will be your role?
Within the Monitoring & Control Services team, you work on several small and larger projects simultaneously. About 40% of your time is spent on meetings and brainstorming sessions, the rest is spent on design and implementation. You will focus on the security domain, but will also have the opportunity to work for other domains, including renewable energy, infrastructure and smart industry. The great thing about TNO is that your ambitions and interests are central. If certain studies or techniques appeal to you, or rather a specific aspect, for example project management, you only have to say so and you will get all the space you need to expand or deepen your development. Our teams in The Hague and Groningen together number about fifty experts who are ready to help you. But they are also very curious about what you have to teach them.
Read more about the Monitoring & Control Services team and our work for defence and security.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- A university degree/PhD in computer science or similar, supplemented by courses in areas such as AI, machine learning, robotics and pattern recognition.
- Some experience with AI platforms and libraries, such as TensorFlow and PyTorch.
- Programming skills (using, for example, Java, Python, Scala, Go and Rust) and the desire to learn new techniques.
- Knowledge of Linux, Git, Eclipse, IntelliJ or VSCode, or of PyCharm or IntelliJ.
- Preferably experience with Docker and Kubernetes and with applying algorithms in AI and machine learning.
What you’ll get in return
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Travel allowance or a bike
- Possibility of a permanent contract
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- A good pension scheme.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
The selection process
Please apply beforethe 12th of December, 2021. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 15th of December, 2021. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 21st of December, 2021. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Yvonne Pribnow
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-11097594
Hiring manager: Matthijs Vonder
Phone number: +31 (0)6-204 24263