What will you be doing?
As an artificial intelligence (AI) researcher you will be responsible for processing of copious amounts data collected from databases, infrastructrure sensors, and/or vehicle sensors to, among other goals, extract useful information on the state of the vehicle and that of its surrounding traffic, develop (behavioral) prediction models for traffic participants, monitoring the safety of increasingly automated vehicles before and after they are deployed on the road, etc. You will also have to display a pragmatic, hands-on, lets-make-this-happen attitude.
This position requires a good overview and grasp of AI techniques (e.g., deep learning, Bayesian networks, causal inference, knowledge graphs) and statistics. TNO has a focus on developing explainable, responsible and controllable AI applications, hence a firm understanding of the ethical consequences of AI is essential. Good command of (traffic) safety concepts (e.g., surrogate safety metrics, microscopic traffic simulations) would be considered a plus when applying to this position. Given the broad scope of topics coverd by this position, there will be a strong need for close collaboration with topical experts. Therefore you need to have experience working and communicating in multidisciplinary teams to perform applied scientific research.
The work will be performed in a team environment, through applied research projects for automotive OEMs and TIERs, service providers, research and governmental organizations all over the world. It is essential to communicate the results in a clear and concise way to non-AI experts. Consequently, good communication, cooperation, and writing skills are essential for the interaction with the team and the involved stakeholders.
Among others, the activities of the machine learning researcher will include:
- Analysis of (sensor) data of automated vehicles;
- Development of techniques for safe implementation of AI in automated vehicles;
- Deriving “safe” vehicle behavioral rules from naturalistice driving data, that are compatible with automated driving;
- Development of AI-based health management in automated vehicles;
- Support the implementation and testing of the mentioned models/rules in IVS’s Carlabs;
- Disseminate (present) and report the research findings.
What do we require of you?
The following minimum requirements are needed:
- MSc/PhD in Artificial Intelligence/ Computer Science / Applied Mathematics or related fields.
- Hands-on, "lets make this happen" attitude.
- Experienced in developing scientific software (C++, Python, TensorFlow, pyTorch).
- Willingness and ability to understand knowledge from related fields.
- Well organized and proactive.
- Convincing oral and written communication skills in English.
- Willingness to travel internationally occasionally.
Preference will be given to candidates that, in addition, have:
- Experience with health management and anomaly detection.
- Knowledge of traffic conflict techniques, traffic safety and safety indicators.
- Knowledge of automotive safety standards (ISO 26262, ASIL, SOTIF).
- Familiarity with automotive automation technology.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3000 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, the SME sector, large companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career. Visit this page
to find out more about our flexible terms of employment.
You can apply till the 22nd of November. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. First two interview rounds and then an assessment. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Marcel Ernes
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-153 51517
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Bastiaan Krosse
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 65396