What will be your role?
Automotive real-time embedded systems typically rely on sensor data that is used by control means to actuate the braking, engine and steering system of a vehicle. Additionally interfaces with e.g. a cloud based system (e.g for tooling/assessment) might be implemented. This means that it is essential to comply with and design for safety standards. Additionally testability of the whole systems and its parts is essential.
You will work in a team on the implementation, verification and validation of software/hardware systems and tools in applied research projects for automotive OEMs and TIERs, service providers, research and governmental organizations all around the world. These projects may focus at exploring innovative solutions for a single vehicle, but also on systems that will be deployed for large operational field tests (e.g. platooning). Next to this, you will be involved in the design of innovative verification and analysis tools which may be off-line or in the vehicle (real-time) and in the implementation of software solutions and control algorithms.
With the project team you will make impact with innovative solutions. Good communication, cooperation, and writing skills are essential for the interaction with multidisciplinary team and involved stakeholders (e.g. control, prediction, testing, functional & operational safety, system engineering).
As a Systems Engineer you will be responsible to work on multidisciplinary projects together with domain experts to create (safety) concepts and transforming them into one combined result. During the design process you need to specify how safety is taken into account and what safety process needs to be followed within a specific project. Moreover you are responsible for the design of safety architectures and technical solutions, including software development and control algorithms. During the product development phase you will be involved in the safety function development and monitor that the defined safety requirements are verified and validated correctly. The developed solutions as well as the design process needs to be extendable in future project.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
To do this you need good understanding of safety engineering, software development, control algorithm development, you need capability of thinking in abstract architectural terms, and to be able to detect detail technical issues.
Besides, you need to have good experience in team working and communication skills.
The activities of the Systems Engineer for Safety and Verification will, amongst others, consist of:
- setting up project specific development lifecycle and defining related processes;
- defining high quality SMART requirements for AD and ADAS applications;
- performing and tailoring safety analysis (HARA, FTA, FMEA);
- designing functional and technical architectural concepts;
- defining requirements for design of offline tools (e.g. for model-based safety engineering);
- ensuring the traceability of requirements through the architecture and design work-products;
- ensuring verification and validation tests and integration of components;
- Developing software and control solutions.
The following minimum requirements are needed:
- MSc in Computer Science / Robotics / Embedded Systems or related fields;
- at least 3 years of experience in systems engineering;
- coordination of safety related tasks;
- experience with coaching of colleagues in relation to safety work;
- experience in automotive safety analysis such as HARA, FTA, FMEA according to ISO 26262;
- experience with modelling languages (UML/SysML), system/software architecture, design patterns;
- experience in software development and control domain
- willingness and ability to understand knowledge from related fields;
- well organized, with a structured approach to activities, within given constraints;
- convincing oral and written communication skills in English;
- willingness to travel internationally occasionally.
Preference will be given to candidates that, in addition, have:
- knowledge of distributed computing;
- familiarity with automotive related control systems;
- experience with real-time embedded systems;
- experience with developing software with Matlab/Simulink;
- knowledge of Model Based simulations.
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike [OPTIONAL] or a leased car.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
TNO as an employer
Within the department Integrated Vehicle Safety (IVS), we work on topics related to Connected and Cooperative Automated Mobility. Multiple disciplines like Vehicle Dynamics, Vehicle Control, System Engineering, Human Factors, Artificial Intelligence, Functional Safety, Environmental Perception, Sensor Fusion, V2V & V2X Communication, etc. work together to enhance vehicle and traffic safety.
The selection process
You can apply till the 1st of July. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Heleen Stork
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-515 34922
Hiring manager: Maurice Kwakkernaat
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.