What will you be doing?
You are an enthusiastic artificial intelligence expert/computer scientist interested in a wide range of subjects who wants to contribute to getting people and AI systems to work together as best they can. You achieve this in a number of ways, including by analysing, modelling and building software prototypes of these models. This leads you to smart and innovative solutions that in turn lead to a better performance of the entire human-machine system. You are knowledgeable about and have an overview of recent and relevant AI technologies in the field of machine learning and rule-based AI that you can use to model these solutions and implement in prototypes. You will work on projects for different clients and in different fields. We expect the focus of your work to be on defence and security, by which we mean working on smart solutions for on board future naval ships and on the cooperation between people and (a group of) unmanned systems. You will work on these projects as part of a multidisciplinary team.
What do we require of you?
- You are people-focused and enjoy turning new knowledge and technology from your field of work into solutions for practical issues in various areas. You have an eye for technological options and limitations, and an insight into what humans can and cannot do.
- You are committed to creating solutions that are not only innovative, but also lead to an actual improvement in effectiveness, efficiency or appreciation.
- You enjoy implementing solutions in a software prototype and making conceptual ideas tangible in innovative demonstrations.
- You work well in a team, as part of which you appreciate giving and receiving feedback to continuously improve your performance and that of others.
- You have an affinity with defence and security matters, but are also interested in one of the other fields of work.
- You constantly keep up-to-date on new technology and developments in your field of work and try to translate the practical or social implications of these.
- You are confident presenting and describing your work to experts as well as laypeople, and can talk enthusiastically about your work.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO’s Perceptual and Cognitive Systems expertise group optimises situational awareness, decision-making and human behaviour through research into the interaction and cooperation between people and (technical) systems, and into the effects of these systems and environment on human behaviour and motivation.
User-centric design is paramount in our projects. We go through iterative cycles with end-users to (conceptually) design, specify and evaluate systems that help people to operate effectively, efficiently and safely. We study test subjects both in simulated laboratory conditions and in the field.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career. The salary for this position is between €2.800,- and €3.600,-, depending on your expertise and experience.
You can apply till the 24th of July. The first round of interviews is scheduled on the 2nd of August. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. First two interview rounds and then an assessment. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Lara Hagendoorn
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-507 40690
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Sanne Huveneers
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 67219