Junior Scientist cloud-native software and platforms | The Hague
Contributing to tomorrow’s world. Envision it. Become a Junior Scientist at TNO in The Hague.
Education typeuniversity (wo),PhD
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
We're looking for a new colleague that will contribute to the development of future-proof and hyper-distributed software ecosystems on top of next generation cloud and edge infrastructures and platforms. Within Monitoring & Control Services (MCS) we prove the feasibility as well as the added value of innovative applications of digital technology for industry, energy and government sectors through an approach of first-time engineering of large-scale monitoring & control for complex systems. In our team you’ll work on projects that demand the creation of architectures for distributed software systems, constructing proof-of-concepts based on international recognized reference architectures (e.g. Gaia-X, Open DEI, Digital Twin Dutch Consortium), and/or the application of cloud technologies (both open source as managed functionality) that enable future digital and data driven ecosystems. In our daily work we see digital twins and complex model chains across multiple organizations being created. We cooperate with government bodies, enterprises, service providers and non-governmental organisations in three focus domains - Industry & Infrastructure, Sustainable Energy, and Defence to create a more efficient, greener and safer tomorrow. We are a very social group of applied researchers, consultants and project managers in IT systems and processes, as well as a number of System Integration experts, located in Groningen and the Hague.
What will be your role?
You are learning more about cutting-edge distributed IT deployments in the context of the European Federated Data Infrastructure (Gaia-X), 5G/6G edge computing, and deployments at edge devices.
Adopting and releasing innovations in Open Source ecosystems (e.g. Cloud Native Computing Foundation, OpenInfra.dev, the Eclipse Foundation) will be an important factor in your developments within TNO.
In your work you will go beyond the current state-of-the art of distributed scalable applications, complex data-driven systems, digital twinning platforms, cloud- and edge- native engineering and develop a deep understanding of the (managed) service portfolio of the hyperscalers (e.g. storage, database, cognitive, container services, etc) and IaaS-level services possibly offered by smaller providers, as well as the complex System of Systems solutions for controlling ever growing IT systems. You think of solutions from a software prototyping perspective.
You work on multiple projects, simultaneously, and with colleagues from your own department and from another TNO departments and units.
You explore and determine theoretically the solution to a current or future problem in an innovative manner and then you realise this practically in the form of a proof of concept or demonstrator. Most importantly, you are learning new technologies and acquire new domain-specific knowledge and adapt them in your work.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- a Ph.D. or M.Sc. degree in Computer Science (or similar) and has followed courses in the fields of cloud computing, parallel computing, software design, big data platforms, data processing within IoT environments;
- programming skills (any or some of Java, Python, Scala, Go, Rust, etc.) and is open to learning new ones;
- background in scalable solutions for data-driven systems;
- comfortable with development environments and tools (like Linux, Git, Eclipse, IntelliJ, VSCode or PyCharm, and CI/CD automation platforms like Gitlab and GitHub, etc.);
- experience with containerisation and orchestration tools in DevOps (like Docker, Kubernetes, etc.).
There are, of course, extra points if you are someone who:
- has practical experience with deploying applications within cloud platforms and a basic know-how of the managed services available within GCP, AWS, and/or Azure;
- has had some hands-on practice with cloud and/or edge-native application development;
- has experience to work with Cyber-Physical systems and Digital twins.
What you’ll get in return
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 13th of July, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 20th of July, 2022. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 26th and 27th of July, 2022. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
In view of the current Corona restrictions, the selection and onboarding processes have been modified. Your invitation for a job interview will detail the relevant information.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Ruthilio Franken
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-24593202
Hiring manager: Matthijs Vonder
Phone number: +31 (0)6-204 24263