What will be your role?
At TNO, we have in-depth knowledge of (technical) cyber security and quantitative models and algorithms, as well as wide experience in developing and applying innovative technology and methodologies. Armed with that knowledge and experience, you and your team will ensure that organisations can rely on secure and robust ICT networks and services both now and in the future. You’ll work closely with partners including universities, other knowledge institutes, service providers and product suppliers, both in the Netherlands and elsewhere. Your department’s work ranges from independent advice to exploratory research on high-potential technology. We also make technology applicable for a specific client or context, for example by developing a proof-of-concept. Our clients include the Dutch Ministry of Defence, financial institutions, telecom service providers, and parties in the mobility and logistics sectors. For many of those clients, secure and robust ICT is a crucial business success factor.
Here are some examples of interesting projects of the CSR (Cyber Security and Robustness) department and TNO:
- Developing technology for detecting advanced cyber-attacks, together with various national and international partners;
- Investigating the security of new and planned systems for banking transactions;
- Researching the applicability of advanced cryptographic technology in the medical field, together with university and industry partners;
- Analysing and benchmarking the security level of European telecom providers, commissioned by the international sector association;
- Research programmes for the Dutch Ministry of Defence aimed at expanding its cyber security capability.
In order to expand our team, we are looking for a Junior Cyber Security Researcher.
As an aspiring Cyber Security researcher, you’re fascinated by technology and you enjoy discovering more about new technologies and related issues. You’ll soon join project teams working on innovations in the field of Cyber Security. The projects will often be carried out in collaboration with partners from outside TNO. With your sound IT background, you’ll deal with the actual technology in your projects. The work of a Junior Cyber Security Researcher at TNO offers a great deal of variety. You’ll be working on a number of different projects simultaneously, together with colleagues from your own department, but also with colleagues from other (IT) disciplines. Depending on your personal interests and abilities, these projects will range from short-term consultancy for clients to long term research, or a combination of these. An important part of your work will involve creating proof-of-concepts and developing new technology. Since in this position you will be working together a lot and will be working for and/or with clients, good social skills are a must.
As you go along, you will choose your focus and/or role (e.g., applied research, consultancy) and develop into an expert in one of the areas in which TNO is active.More about cyber security at TNO
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
Thinking in terms of creative solutions is in your DNA. You’re passionate about technology and driven to find out how things really work. You study matters in depth, and you voice your opinion when your subject is concerned. But you don’t just excel when sitting at the computer – you’re also good at working in project teams and communicating with clients and colleagues. And what if you get stuck or can’t work something out? No problem! You can always ask your colleagues to help, and you’ll tackle the issue as a team. You also have the following to offer:
- A Master’s degree or PhD, preferably in computer science, informatics or another technical discipline;
- Experience and an affinity for complex ICT infrastructures;
- A keen interest in the latest technological developments and the drive to constantly seek innovation;
- A hacker’s mindset, because you also look at ‘what’s on the inside’;
- Good communication skills for dealing with your colleagues and your cooperation partners and clients (including internationally).
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 2744,- and € 4955,- (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
Read more about tailoring your benefits package
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
TNO as an employer
The successful candidate will reinforce our Cyber Security & Robustness department, which consists of some 60 professionals. Where cyber security expertise is concerned, we are among the top organisations in the Netherlands. Our locations are Groningen and The Hague. There’s an open and friendly atmosphere at both sites. Meet your colleagues
The selection process
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Sandra Lemmens
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-23967752
Hiring manager: Daniëlle Keus
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31 (0)6-20015789