What will you be doing?
We are looking for a new team member to join our geomechanics team. As a research scienstist, you will be working on multiple projects, to address a range of geomechanical topics including modelling of coupled mechanical and flow processes in reservoirs, induced seismicity, and well integrity. In addition, you will contribute to the strengthening of our research portfolio on geothermal energy, energy storage, CO2 sequestration, and ground subsidence, in particular concerning the development of modelling workflows for analysis of seal and well integrity and feasibility and effects of underground energy and CO2 storage. A substantial part of the role will be developing different numerical and semi-analytical modelling approaches and software codes. Experience with finite element modelling packages and code development in Python or Java is an advantage. Besides modelling, this role will encompass conducting literature reviews, presenting at conferences, writing reports and papers, and participating in project acquisition by contributing to proposals and grant applications. You will be expected to help with acquiring new projects and fostering relationships with new and existing clients. Collaboration and scientific excellence are highly valued in our team. The working language is English.
Read more about our department
What do we require of you?
- PhD in geotechnical/mechanical engineering or geology/geophysics with 0 to 5 years of work experience (other relevant degrees will be considered; post-doc research is considered an asset);
- Relevant research background in geomechanics/rock physics/numerical modelling;
- Experience in modelling/programming (see also Job Description);
- Competent in writing high quality academic texts as well as easy-to-read and concise reports, proposals, and grants;
- Able to work independently, responsibly, and result-driven;
- Good communication and inter-personal skills.
What can you expect of your work situation?
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932 we have been developing knowledge and technologies in the general interest. We find common ground in fascination and resourcefulness, and are driven to push boundaries. There is ample room for your talent and ambition. You will be working with people who are a match for you, who inspire you, and who want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to turn your vision into reality. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes a difference. Because with each innovation, you contribute to the life of the future.Read more about TNO as an employer
The department of Applied Geosciences hosts 70 professionals, for a large part earth scientists and subsurface engineers. It focuses on applied geoscientific research and development to enable the transition towards a sustainable, secure and affordable energy system. Our project portfolio covers the entire chain of resource exploration, efficient production, subsurface storage, and the re-use and de-commissioning of existing infrastructure. Our project portfolio is diverse in scope and size: we manage large national research programs, participate in EU funded research consortia, and provide consultancy services for the private sector. We offer our partners and clients - ranging from the global players in the energy sector to municipalities and from universities to start-up enterprises –a creative vision on the energy transition and transform this vision into practical solutions, based on world-class geoscientific expertise and leading edge technological capabilities.Meet your colleagues
What can TNO offer you?
The work is challenging and varied. And with lots of opportunities, because at TNO, you are to a large extent in charge of your career. Besides a gross monthly salary between € 3,500,- en € 4,300,- (depending on your knowledge and experience), holiday allowance and a thirteenth month, you will have ample possibilities to develop yourself. At TNO, you can also put together your own ‘menu’ of terms of employment that suits your individual situation. What else can you expect?
Read here which terms of employment you can choose from
- Prospect of a permanent contract;
- An extremely professional, innovative work environment, with high-calibre experts as colleagues;
- 28 days of paid leave and 5 ATV days (additional days of paid leave on the basis of full-time employment);
- Travel allowance or a bicycle;
- A good pension scheme;
- Fun (virtual) activities with your team, site, and the whole of TNO. This will help you to quickly get to know many of your colleagues;
- Flexible working times and the option of working from home;
- The opportunity to do courses, training programmes and workshops, and attend conferences;
- A modern office in Utrecht;
- Extensive relocation allowance scheme for international applicants.
You can apply till May 30. The first round of interviews is scheduled on June 11. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anne-Maartje Uijl- Meijman, den
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-469 66067
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Paul Wyers
Phone number: email@example.com