What will you be doing?
Modern means of transport, from passenger cars to heavy-duty road and waterborne transport have to meet increasingly strict emission regulations and greenhouse gas targets. These future challenges will be met with a range of increasingly complex powertrain technologies, ranging from novel high-efficient combustion engine concepts, including high efficient aftertreatment systems, to battery and fuel cell electrification.
An integrated development approach is necessary to maximize the overall system efficiency. In order to reduce the system development effort TNO has developed an unique methodology based on a combination of state-of-the-art testing facilities and virtual development. You will participate actively in technical projects, with main focus on real-time implementation and validation of advanced estimation and control algorithms, using rapid control prototyping tools to enable these future technological solutions.
Within our multi-disciplinary international team you will have an integrator role (industrial experience is preferred). Our Powertrains research department will involve you directly in developing technologies contributing to our sustainable future. Furthermore, you will play a key role in strengthening and further building on our position in the transport industry, to extend the TNO portfolio further.
You will present the technical results at national and international events and publish the research results in peer reviewed journals. And, you will follow the recent trends and developments in this field and can help translate client needs into working systems and solutions.
The research group Powertrains is one of the leading players on vehicle energy management technology and has a longstanding track record in the automotive industry. We have developed our own extensive modelling and simulation tools to simulate both conventional, hybrid electric, and fully electric powertrains. The group has its own state-of-the-art testing facilities, where we can measure complete powertrain systems for real world applications. We can perform measurements on an entire vehicle (up to truck size) in our unique altitude climate chamber, and perform on-road measurements for all powertrain types.
What do we require of you?
- You have a Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant field such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or automotive engineering;
- Based on your education and professional experience you recognize the key trends and developments in powertrain technologies and recognize how to apply those to client problems;
- You have good technical knowledge and affinity with modelling of powertrain components (battery modelling expertise is considered an advantage) targeting real-time implementation of model-based control algorithms, using Matlab/Simulink. Combining this with knowledge on real-time signal processing and rapid control prototyping tools, supplied by dSPACE and/or National Instruments, etc. would be of added value;
- You enjoy developing innovative solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and practical pragmatism;
- You are experienced in direct interactions with (international) customers and can help translate their needs into services and solutions;
- You are an effective team player and enjoy achieving results in teams of varying composition. Moreover, enjoy developing innovative solutions to technically challenging problems and have the right mix of intellectual curiosity and practical pragmatism;
- The job will require some international projects and hence you should be willing to occasionally travel to international customers.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3500 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, the SME sector, large companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
The group Powertrains is an internationally recognizable research team in vehicle powertrains and has a longstanding track record in the automotive industry. We play a leading role in physics-based modeling and control of powertrains components. We have developed our own, extensive tool-chains and methodologies in this domain. The group has its own state-of-the-art testing facilities, used for assessment, development and validation of a wide range of powertrain technologies. TNO Powertrains has a strong international track record for different applications from passenger cars to heavy-duty road and waterborne transport. This makes us the ideal applied knowledge partner in innovative solutions for tomorrow’s challenges.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
You can apply till the 26th of November. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
Has this vacancy aroused your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anouk Bos
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-46966194
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Martijn Stamm
Phone number: 08886 64065