Sometimes an inland vessel collides or a navy frigate breaks in two. If such a thing were to happen, how could we limit the damage? As a junior structural dynamics scientist at TNO, you will experiment with innovative structural designs.
What will you be doing?
You will work on research and consultancy assignments for clients in the maritime and defence domain in particular. Using computer simulations and experiments, you test the dynamic and collapsing behaviour of various structures and come up with a safer and stronger alternative. Consider (parts of) ships, frigates, containers or tankers, and how they can respond better to collisions, swell or underwater explosions. This job focuses specifically on the system safety of navy vessels.Your work is not confined to the lab and office. You will also take measurements in the field. For example, you go aboard ships to attach equipment that collects data or you apply sensors to experimental structures that are tested under realistic conditions.
about structural dynamics at TNO
What do we require of you?
You are a smoothly communicating team player who has a way of dealing with all kinds of different personalities. In mutual communication you dare to express your opinion in a decisive way. And as you will often find yourself in unexplored research territory, creativity will come in handy. You take a fresh look at everything happening around you and respond to it in a positive way. Because wanting to improve yourself and the environment in which you work and get the most out of it, so that you can serve the customer optimally: that is what drives you. What else do we require from you?
- A university degree in maritime engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, aerospace or materials science, with a specialisation in the field of mechanics.
- A sound theoretical foundation as well as practical insight in structural behaviour.
- A good command of Dutch and English.
- Preferably experience with programming and knowledge of shipbuilding.
What can you expect of your work situation?
As an independent research firm, TNO bridges the gap between the academic and commercial worlds. We translate research results into clear applications and solutions. Thereby solving future problems today. We will give you ample time to give due consideration to the situations on which you are working. Project complete? Then we will continue our journey of discovery, looking for new tools, models and advice that will benefit Dutch companies and organisations in the future. With around 3,000 employees, we are active in nine different spheres for a wide array of clients, including governments, SMEs, social organisations, large companies and service providers.
about TNO as an employer
At TNO you will be working in the Structural Dynamics research group. We are a group of about fifty colleagues in total. In ever-changing project teams of three to four team members, we work on technologies that change the future of business. Relax? That is what we do on the annual departmental outing. What you may also find interesting: We have a large group of young people working for us who meet regularly outside working hours for a bite to eat, a drink or a game night. And: Project-based work means flexible work. So we like to enjoy a fanatical game of table football every now and then.
What can TNO offer you?
Challenging and varied work. And full of opportunities because at TNO you are by and large the master of your own career. In addition to a gross monthly salary of between €2,900 and €3,700 (depending on your knowledge and experience), holiday pay and a thirteenth month’s salary, you will get every opportunity to develop your skills. Maybe you want to grow into a medior, or eventually make a career as a senior. At TNO, you can put together a ‘menu’ of terms of employment that suits your personal situation. What you can expect:
- Flexible working times and the option of working from home.
- Prospect of a permanent contract.An utmost professional, innovative work environment, with high-calibre experts as colleagues.
- 28 days of holiday and 5 ATV days (additional days of paid leave on the basis of full-time employment).
- Travel allowance or a bicycle.
- Fun activities with your team and your colleagues at your office and within TNO as a whole, such as monthly drinks. This will help you to quickly get to know many of your colleagues.
- The opportunity to do courses, training programmes and workshops, and attend conferences.
- A modern office in Delft.Access to our Talent Development Programme and to the network and fun activities of Young TNO.
- Any coaching you may require.
- A good pension scheme.
Here you can read the terms of employment
you can choose from
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy!
For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Lara Hagendoorn
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-507 40690
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Tom Basten
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 66489