What will be your role?
As a scientist in the Subsurface Energy Transition team within Applied Geosciences you will help developing subsurface technology solutions that will enable the transition towards a carbon neutral energy system. You will be working on topics such as large-scale energy storage in the subsurface, a safe and environmentally benign re-use of gas and electricity infrastructure for renewable energy production, and optimal integration of the different activities in the subsurface into the rapidly developing and diversifying new energy system.
You will have many opportunities to work together with clients on developing innovative solutions for complex problems faced by the energy industry. You will also have the opportunity to be part of multi-disciplinary research projects with a diverse group of geoscientists and engineers, as well as policy and economic experts.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- PhD/MSc in Applied Earth Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or Energy Technology.
- Demonstrate scientific computing (with numerical analysis) skills using MATLAB & Python. Working knowledge of GIS modelling & GIT is an advantage.
- Good conceptual knowledge of fluid flow, physio-chemical processes, renewable energy technologies, subsurface rock-fluid interactions and subsurface transport processes.
- Affinity with energy system transition studies and system integration is a must, with existing knowledge of it a plus.
- Previous experience of conducting scientific experiments in a laboratory is an advantage.
- Proven experience of working in interdisciplinary technical projects with multiple stakeholders is an advantage.
- Good communication skills, both written & verbal.
- Self-drive, proactive and a team player.
What you’ll get in return
The work is challenging and varied. And with lots of opportunities, because at TNO, you are to a large extent in charge of your career. Besides a gross monthly salary between € 2950,- en € 4000,- (depending on your knowledge and experience), holiday allowance and a thirteenth month, you will have ample possibilities to develop yourself. At TNO, you can also put together your own ‘menu’ of terms of employment that suits your individual situation. What else can you expect?
- Prospect of a permanent contract;
- An extremely professional, innovative work environment, with high-calibre experts as colleagues;
- 28 days of paid leave and 5 ATV days (additional days of paid leave on the basis of full-time employment);
- Travel allowance or a bicycle;
- A good pension scheme;
- Fun (virtual) activities with your team, site, and the whole of TNO. This will help you to quickly get to know many of your colleagues;
- Flexible working times and the option of working from home;
- The opportunity to do courses, training programmes and workshops, and attend conferences;
- A modern office in Utrecht;
- Extensive relocation allowance scheme for international applicants.
which terms of employment you can choose from.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932 we have been developing knowledge and technologies in the general interest. We find common ground in fascination and resourcefulness, and are driven to push boundaries. There is ample room for your talent and ambition. You will be working with people who are a match for you, who inspire you, and who want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to turn your vision into reality. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes a difference. Because with each innovation, you contribute to the life of the future.Read more about TNO as an employer
The department of Applied Geosciences
hosts 70 professionals, for a large part earth scientists and subsurface engineers. It focuses on applied geoscientific research and development to enable the transition towards a sustainable, secure and affordable energy system. Our project portfolio covers the entire chain of resource exploration, efficient production, subsurface storage, and the re-use and de-commissioning of existing infrastructure. Our project portfolio is diverse in scope and size: we manage large national research programs, participate in EU funded research consortia, and provide consultancy services for the private sector. We offer our partners and clients - ranging from the global players in the energy sector to municipalities and from universities to start-up enterprises –a creative vision on the energy transition and transform this vision into practical solutions, based on world-class geoscientific expertise and leading edge technological capabilities.Meet your colleagues
The selection process
You can apply till the 27th of June. The first round of interviews is scheduled on the 8th of July. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. First two interview rounds and then an assessment OR presentation. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anne-Maartje Uijl- Meijman, den
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-469 66067
Hiring manager: Paul Wyers
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: firstname.lastname@example.org