What will you be doing?
As a consultant, you are regarded as someone capable of understanding the customer’s query and persuading the customer to enlist our services as a research partner. In your day-to-day work you will work within the air quality knowledge domain and immerse yourself in one of the subtopics (nitrogen, particulate matter, etc.). You will provide input and help answer the next generation of current, innovative research questions. Often working alongside experts from different fields, you will endeavour to contribute to solutions pertaining to air quality problems / the energy transition / undesirably high depositions, etc. – problems faced by policymakers. In addition, you will develop an external network in this field of expertise to help our customers further. The above is designed to flag up and chart the impact of society’s actions on air quality and to render the effects of policy transparent so that policymakers and decision-makers are given effective support.
What do we require of you?
- You have a degree in environmental science, physics, chemistry or mathematics and, after graduating, have gained five to seven years’ work experience in the field of air quality. Alternatively, you have completed a PhD and have a few years' experience in your subject, air quality.
- You are be familiar with the air quality models used by the EU.
- You are capable of explaining complex subject matter in straightforward language, both verbally and in writing, and of enthusing others or persuading them of your argument.
- You are capable of formulating current research questions concerning air quality and incorporating them into project proposals for such things as EU Horizon 2020 calls, ministries, provinces and national or international research programmes. Furthermore, you already have a track record in projects or have already secured a few projects.
- You have a burgeoning network in the field of air quality research, manage to maintain and expand this to a level that will allow other research partners to find you for the purposes of setting up new consortiums and drawing up project proposals to be submitted.
- You have a commercial and consultant's mindset and are able, together with partners, to search for suitable solutions to customer questions and applications for models that we develop at TNO.
- You are a good networker and able to establish and maintain strategic relationships in the field of air quality.
- You have a solid command of both English and German (spoken and written). Knowledge of Dutch is an advantage.
What can you expect of your work situation?
Within the Circular Economy & Environment Unit, the CAS Expertise Group analyses the impact of human activity on the environment.
The Expertise Group has at its disposal data stemming from state-of-the-art equipment (satellites and measurement towers on the ground) as well as calculation models (LOTOS-EUROS), which make it possible to calculate and trace the composition, origin and expected distribution of a wide range of substances in the air – such as particulate matter, NH3, NOx, SOX, O3, etc. – and to reach verdicts on air quality (anywhere in the world). CAS also has the requisite expertise to assist government policymakers and decision-makers in the private sector when it comes to transitioning to a more sustainable, cleaner and socioeconomically more desirable economy. Our areas of focus and hence our staff are at the heart of debate in society.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
Visit this page
to find out more about our flexible terms of employment.
You can apply till the 23th of August. The first round of interviews is scheduled on the 3rd of September. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Anne-Maartje Uijl- Meijman, den
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-469 66067
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Gerard Laan, van der
Phone number: 088 866 2038