What will you be doing?
Currently there is an opening for scientist Polymer Technology with the focus on polymer characterization and properties, including polymer ageing, durability and microplastics. For this vacancy, the working location will be on the High Tech Campus in Eindhoven.
A large part of the activities of the research group Materials Solutions is targeting assessment and improvements of polymer based materials for energy and environment related applications. One key aspect is the research on the consequences of polymers when exposed to various environmental and use conditions. Examples of projects are the degradation predictions of polymer behavior during prolonged exposure to soil, water, CO2 in extreme conditions (high temperatures, pressures and salinity) and the assessment of the mechanisms of the formation of microplastics from polymers during use, disposal, and recycling. Efficiency, durability and failure modes of materials are important drivers for this research, resulting in mitigation strategies.
Typical work activities are:
- Executing research projects in the field of the chemical and physical degradation of polymers in sub-surface and outdoor conditions, and the subsequent service life predictions and microplastic formation;
- Coordinating, supervising and monitoring the work of research assistants and interns;
- Support business developers and project managers in initiating the development of new projects and proposition in your field of expertise (project acquisition);
- Reporting of research results (both internally and externally), in form of presentations, written reports and scientific publications;
You will be responsible for:
- Excellent execution of research projects;
- Communication with customers / partners on scientific progress and project results;
- Developing a network with academic and industrial partners to initiate new propositions.
What do we require of you?
To be successful in this role you:
- Have a strong solid polymer science background: preferably you are holding a PhD in the field of polymer science and technology and/or have at least 3 years of workexperience;
- Are familiar with degradation and ageing phenomena of polymers, and you are acquainted with various polymer characterization methods (TGA, DSC, GPC, DMTA, FTIR, DLS, electron microscopy).
- Have a talent of translating structures at molecular, and nano scale to macroscopic properties, aiming to study and predict longevity of polymers and to understand the root causes of materials failure.
- Have experience in working in a multidisciplinary team of scientists and research assistants with competences in polymer materials.
- Are acquainted with the plastic industry as an advantage.
- Are a good communicator and able to express your thoughts and findings in a clear concise manner, both orally and written.
- Are a proactive team player, with a result-driven and customer-oriented attitude in your work.
- Are fluent in English and ego to learn Dutch. Fluent in Dutch is an advantage.
What can you expect of your work situation?
What can you expect from your work situation?
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
TNO is an independent research organization whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organizations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. The research group Materials Solutions is located at The High Tech Campus in Eindhoven and the Brightlands Chemelot Campus in Geleen, has strong connections to academic research groups, and robust partnerships with a broad range of (international) companies. The group has a strong and long-standing track record in the development of (multi-) functional polymer materials, polymer composites, nanoparticles and wet-chemical coatings. The scientific competences that form the foundation of the group are polymer science, colloid science, interface science, wet-chemical coatings, materials modelling and heterogeneous catalysis.
What can TNO offer you?
What you will get in return?
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 2,800 and € 4,750 (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package
Please apply before 16 May 2021. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place in week 21. The second interview round has been scheduled for week 23. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Paul Verschoor
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-29236794
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Jan Pieter Maurice
Phone number: 08886 65764