What will you be doing?
You will join the Safety for Circular Economy and Environment (CEE) team. The team is still being built, which gives you the chance to build along. As a scientist, you will start out on the Brigthlands Campus (Chemelot), where TNO has an office in the SiTech building. We’re working there with partners on new technologies for the environment (CO2 reduction) and energy transition.
What do we require of you?
- You are known as an expert in safety, health and the environment.
- Knowledge of and experience in physical safety, health and environmental risks, in particular with regard to hazardous substances, new technologies and new energies.
- A degree in safety and/or environmental science (e.g. Advanced Safety Sciences), process technology or chemical technology, at MSc/PhD level.
- Knowledge of design (processes) in the industry; experience in safety risk analysis.
- Knowledge of/experience in (smart) measurement networks, data analysis, data assimilation and related technologies (big data, sensor networks, AI); specialised in data analysis or modelling.
- Strong communication skills. You will build relations with (potential) customers and help them gain support on topics and for the implementation of solutions in customer organisations.
- You will strive for cohesion (between skills, people and organisations), bring parties together in coalitions and build consortia to introduce innovations in customer organisations.
- You have insight in the TNO knowledge portfolio and technology within the safety field in general, as well as related expertise.
- You will provide customers with insights and comprehensive solutions with a visible impact on the strategy, organisation and management of the customer organisation, and will be able to implement these.
- You will publish in journals and give presentations before customers and networks.
What can you expect of your work situation?
You will work in the Environmental Modelling, Sensing and Analysis (EMSA) department. This is a versatile department with knowledge of measurement methods and strategies in the field of chemical analyses, sensors in air and water for gases and particles, and microscopic analyses of solids such as asbestos and production materials. EMSA works in the environmental field as well as in the circular economy.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. Many opportunities exist for you to develop: conferences, courses, workshops, coaching, intervision, mentoring and job rotation. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
You can apply till the 25th of September. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
Recruiter: Sandra Lemmens
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-23967752
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Johan Middelaar, van