What will be your role?
As a medior wind energy scientist, you will collaborate on the technologically challenging projects of the Wind Energy research group. Which projects you will become involved in will depend on your experience and future interests. On behalf of, and in partnership with, (international) governments, utilities, developers, wind turbine manufacturers and universities, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the entire wind energy spectrum. For example, you might zoom in on aspects of aerodynamics and lead improvements to our numerical models to better understand how wind energy resources may be best harnessed. Or you might take a broader view and suggest novel ways to successfully integrate large scale wind energy into our existing energy system. How do we improve the sustainability of wind turbines throughout their lifecycle? What would be the ideal set-up for an offshore wind farm in order to optimise power generation and reduce costs? How can we make yield more predictable? How can we integrate all data that are being generated by an operational windfarm and say something about the remaining life or ideal control strategy? Moreover, as a medior scientist at TNO you are invited to come up with relevant research topics yourself.
Your work will revolve around research – technological and scientific research - but in response to concrete, real-world problems that need solving. As such, you will be partly responsible for enabling millions of households and industry to enjoy the full benefits of affordable, sustainable energy in the future, generated with as little environmental impact as possible. The solutions developed by you and the various project teams you will be part of are anything but standard. You will pioneer new models and technologies that may just bring radical change to the world.View Marcelien Bos-de Koning's vlog about wind energy at the North Sea
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
You have a good set of brains, a passion for renewable energy in general and wind energy in particular, and great social skills. After all, you will always be working with others, as part of project teams or larger consortiums to solve societal issues. You don’t have to know everything about the entire field (although we wouldn’t mind it if you did). The most important thing is that you have a broad interest in applied scientific research and a passion for wind energy and similar topics. You’re also not afraid to get out of your comfort zone and are eager to develop further.
Other qualifications we’re looking for:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a project-based company or institute that is wind related.
- A university degree (MSc) or PhD in a relevant technical field, such as electrical engineering, control engineering, aerospace engineering, physics, sustainable energy technology (wind) or European Wind Energy Master.
- A knack for business opportunities: recognizing opportunities as they present themselves, or experience in writing project proposals.
- An ambition to further develop professionally, either in your field of expertise or as a project manager, consultant, business developer or line-manager.
- Great communication and presentation skills, as well as fluency in English, both orally and in writing.
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 3.700 and € 5.800 (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180).
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- View on a permanent contract.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
The selection process
Please apply before August 23. The selection process comprises at least two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on August 31. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Lara Dimitrovski
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-507 40690
Hiring manager: Marc Langelaar
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 63060