What will you be doing?
In the Quantum Technology department we develop systems that are at the heart of the second Quantum revolution. You will be working in projects we perform directly for clients or in close collaboration with the TUDelft in the QuTech research center for quantum computing and quantum internet. QuTech addresses scientific challenges as well as engineering issues in a joint center of know-how with industrial partners.
Our mission is to apply new scientific knowledge and technology into new and state-of-the art systems and applications exploiting quantum properties, and bring these to a higher Technology Readiness Level (TRL). These systems could consist of optical (quantum) setups for quantum communication, and more specifically Quantum Key Distribution(QKD).
You will be working towards designing and prototyping these systems, mainly focusing on Quantum Communication and on bridging the gap between university research and commercial applications. You will work together with a team consisting of systems engineers and experts in different expertise fields (quantum, optical, optomechatronics, microwave electronics, software,…) and be involved in (quantum communication) systems build-up. This is an entry level or medior position, so you will not be expected to work on your own from day one but to grow into a competent part of the team.
What do we require of you?
- A master degree in Physics, Mathematics or Engineering, with an emphasis on quantum research desired.
- Affinity for research and engineering and conducting applied scientific research in the field of Quantum Communication, specifically on the hardware development side. Experience in the setup and execution of quantum communication experiments (e.g. for QKD) is much appreciated.
- In addition to the above mentioned technical proficiency, this role requests for the following skills; responsible, accurate and organized way of working, result-driven, enthusiastic, flexible in your way of thinking, good interpersonal skills and able to work productively in a team.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation that functions as a bridge between the worlds of academia and industry, and the public sector. TNO has around 3,500 employees working within nine domains for a wide range of clients, such as government agencies, the SME sector, civil society organisations, larger companies and service providers. We aim to translate research findings into straightforward applications and innovations to solve the challenges the world will encounter the day after tomorrow. We take the time to think calmly and thoroughly about issues and, once a project has been completed, we continue our search for tools, models and recommendations that will benefit our clients and society as a whole in the future.Read more about TNO as an employer
Within TNO, you will be working in the most enterprising unit of them all: Industry. Out of various sites throughout the Netherland, the 600 members of the Industry unit work on innovations to stimulate the Dutch industry and ensure it remains leading-edge while at the same time contribute to the wellbeing and welfare in and beyond the Netherlands. You will work predominantly at our Delft site but will also visit some of our other locations like the ones in Den Haag, Eindhoven or Utrecht to name a few. As such, you’ll soon become intimately acquainted with the wide range of characters and areas of expertise featured at TNO. YOU will quickly recognize that one thing we all have in common is a positive, future-oriented attitude that makes for a very pleasant work environment.Meet some of your future TNO colleagues
Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With these 3500 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. his we do on the field of Quantum Technology as well, working with a variety of stakeholders to develop a strong Dutch and European ecosystem to enable the second quantum revolution.
What can TNO offer you?
We offer you work that is both challenging and diverse, as well as plenty of opportunities for personal development; you’ll be largely in charge of your own career. In addition to a gross monthly salary, holiday pay and a thirteenth month salary, you’ll get every opportunity to develop further and explore your professional field in-depth and become a scientific specialist or continue on into alternative career paths towards for example the role of project leader. TNO also allows you to pick and choose from a ‘menu’ of employee benefits in line with your personal situation. Here are some more benefits to consider:
Read all about the many employee benefits to choose from
- The prospect of a fixed contract if all goes well.
- 28 days of annual leave and 5 days of reduced working hours (based on a full-time contract).
- Flexible working hours and the option of working from home.
- The option of participating in training courses or additional schooling, and visiting conferences.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme and personal coaching.
- Networking opportunities.
- A travel allowance or a bicycle on loan.
- Fun outings and activities, such as monthly drinks events, with your team and colleagues at your workplace, as well as other TNO facilities. These events will quickly help you get to know lots of people.
- An incredibly professional, inspiring work environment, with colleagues who are the top experts in their respective fields.
- A sound retirement plan.
- Comprehensive relocation package for international applicants.
We are accepting applications until February 7th, 2021. The application process will consist of two selection interviews, followed by a third and final interview to discuss your employee benefits. An online assessment, reference check and final presentation can be part of the selection procedure.
Due to the measures that have been implemented to combat Covid-19, the application process and on-boarding for new employees have been modified. More information regarding these matters will be included in the invite for a first interview.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
We look forward to receiving your application! For more information about the position or the application process, please feel free to contact us.
Recruiter: Paul Verschoor
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-29236794
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Jérémy Veltin
Phone number: +31 (0)6-317 57083