What will be your role?
Are you looking for a challenging project, at the boundary between science and engineering? Do you have experience with conducting experiments on Quantum Devices? TNO is active on that front and is looking to expand its team of specialists.
You will be working in the Quantum Technology department of TNO in projects we perform directly for clients or in close collaboration with the TU Delft in the QuTech research center for quantum computing and quantum internet. QuTech addresses scientific challenges as well as engineering issues in a joint center of know-how with industrial partners.
TNO’s mission is to apply scientific knowledge and technology into higher TRL (Technology Readiness Level) applications. We do this on the topic of Quantum Technology as well, designing and building quantum devices, as well as systems that leverage on their properties (for application in communication, computing or sensing). In order to better control the manufacturing process of these chips and build up the capability of developing more and more complex ones, efforts are needed to measure and characterize these.
You will be working in a laboratory environment where you will abide to safety regulations. You will be principally working toward measuring the properties of quantum devices. You will do this on different types of devices (mainly those based on semiconductors or superconductors). As measurement engineer you will collaborate with the rest of the team that design and manufacture these chips to link your measurements to enhanced understanding of the systems and increase production capabilities and predictability.
Read and see more
about the TNO Unit Industry.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
The expected work requires the following technical proficiency and background:
- MSc degree in Physics, Electical Engineering, Computer Science or PhD in a quantum technology research group, working experience considered a plus.
- Experience in setting up and performing experiments (from calibration to qubit gate operations) on quantum devices, preferably on superconducting qubits.
- Proficiency in programming in Python or similar language.
- In addition to the above mentioned, this role requests for the following skills; responsible, accurate and organized way of working, result-driven, enthusiastic, flexible in your way of thinking, good interpersonal skills and able to work productively in a team.
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer a gross monthly salary between € 2,700 and € 5,000 (based on your knowledge and experience), 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike [OPTIONAL] or a leased car. An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
The QT group is a rather young department that consists of about 35 people of very diverse backgrounds (cultural and technical) that all contribute to different aspects of Quantum Technology. Its mission is to make Quantum Technology available to society by connecting science, technology and business. Based on our engineering know-how, we develop quantum technology, give direction to the scientific developments and develop business opportunities together with our partners.
You will work toward this mission with a team of your peers, but also in close collaboration with our partners. You will not work on your own, and your work will contribute to larger project goals that can only be achieved with a focused team effort.
The selection process
Please apply before 15 August 2021. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place in week 34 or 35. The second interview round has been scheduled for week 35 or 36. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of mployment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Paul Verschoor
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-29236794
Hiring manager: Jérémy Veltin
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: +31 (0)6-317 57083