What will be your role?
As a BCT research manager, you will bear final responsibility for literally every aspect of the work within your research group, from strategy to operations and from planning to implementation. Your duties will also include personnel matters.
BCT is a diverse group of over 50 professionals who work with partners to develop breakthrough thermochemical conversion technologies and processes, including technologies that can (1) convert bioresiduals and waste into green fuels, materials and chemicals and (2) play a role in plastic recycling. Such technologies are urgently needed to scale up the sustainable supply of energy and materials in the future.
BCT researchers have technical and academic backgrounds in such disciplines as chemistry, chemical engineering and mechanical engineering. Together, they investigate and develop new technologies and applications and, when successful, scale them up to pilot-scale systems with the aim of marketing them worldwide in cooperation with our commercial partners. Top-calibre research of this kind is made possible by BCT’s extensive labs in Petten (main location) and a smaller facility at the Green Chemistry Campus in Bergen op Zoom. In the period ahead, BCT will be focusing on expanding industry’s involvement in its research programme. Because the group members come from different countries, the language of communication is English.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
You ensure that the group is well positioned and that the experts and Business Developers work together to advance the research programmes. You take the right steps to consolidate the group’s scientific underpinnings and ensure that the necessary competences and research facilities are made available on time.
Your team members are smart professionals who are quick to cut through the rhetoric. That is why, in addition to being a manager, you are also a good discussion partner for our researchers. Because you yourself have the relevant research skills, you can give them valuable feedback on their work. By communicating your vision and engaging people in it, you build trust and inspire your team.
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- You have broad experience as a people manager.
- You are passionate about the energy transition.
- You bear the interests of industrial and other partners and clients in different sectors in mind and consider how best to position your research group in relation to them (‘outside in’).
- You can connect talent within the group and to customary partner groups.
- You must have a background in the natural sciences. Prior experience or a background in process technology or chemistry is an advantage, as is experience in a laboratory environment and the associated safety aspects.
What you’ll get in return
Challenging and varied work with a real impact. And plenty of opportunities as, at TNO, you are in charge of shaping your career. We offer 8% holiday pay, a 13th month bonus of 8.33% and a flex budget (5.58% + € 180). In addition, you will be given every opportunity to develop yourself.
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
Read more about tailoring your benefits package
- A good pension scheme;
- Travel allowance or a bike;
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field;
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis;
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly;
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home;
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
TNO as an employer
At TNO, we innovate for a healthier, safer and more sustainable life. And for a strong economy. Since 1932, we have been making knowledge and technology available for the common good. We find each other in wonder and ingenuity. We are driven to push boundaries. There is all the space and support for your talent and ambition. You work with people who will challenge you: who inspire you and want to learn from you. Our state-of-the-art facilities are there to realize your vision. What you do at TNO matters: impact makes the difference. Because with every innovation you contribute to tomorrow’s world. Read more about TNO as an employer
The selection process
You can apply till June 22. The first round of interviews is scheduled on June 29. The second round of interviews is scheduled for July 6. The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we'd like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the 'apply now' button.
Recruiter: Mark Boerman
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-11074214
Hiring manager: Marieke Verheijden
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Phone number: 08886 66210