Research Manager Buildings, Infrastructure & Maritime | Delft
Contributing to a safe and sustainable future. Envision it. Become a Research Manager at TNO in Delft.
Education typeuniversity (wo)
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
What will be your role?
At the BI&M unit, approximately 200 employees are working on solutions aimed at facilitating the transition into a safe and sustainable living environment. All the unit's areas of expertise contribute to this, despite the fact that the topics of these projects can vary greatly. Consider, for instance, predicting the life cycle of a flood barrier, developing a new, circular building concept, or finding reliable calculation methods to assess the safety of ships and structures at sea when using new, sustainable fuels.
These issues are becoming increasingly relevant for our clients and stakeholders and have received a lot of attention in, for example, the recent coalition agreement. It is also becoming more important that our projects bring about innovation within the value chain using a comprehensive systems approach. This also requires new expertise and competences. The unit is expected to grow by approximately 20-25% in the next 3-5 years.
In order to accommodate this growth, we have decided to restructure from three larger to five smaller expertise groups as of 1 January 2023 in order to give sufficient attention and space to the desired cooperation and expansion of our expertise. This will create more time and focus for guiding and coaching employees in their development. In addition to growth, we also see that (new) market demands require closer cooperation between the areas of expertise that are spread across various groups. We want to be able to focus more on cooperation in the coming period, and the Research Managers play an important role in this.
We are looking for 3 new Research Managers for our Unit. There are therefore several positions that require staffing, and we look forward to discussing the best match for you and the unit. If you want to further develop the unit with us, don't hesitate to apply so that we can meet the challenges of creating a more sustainable society.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
Additional knowledge and skills you will be bringing to TNO:
- At least a university working level and intellectual ability, with an educational background in construction, mechanical engineering, physics, or equivalent.
- Management experience as a (deputy) manager.
- Experience with (financial) business operations, risk management, and QSHE.
- At least a B2-level command of Dutch and English.
- Affinity with (at least one of) the sectors relevant to us: construction, infrastructure or the maritime sector.
What you’ll get in return
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance or a leased car.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- A good pension scheme.
TNO as an employer
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before September 2, 2022. The selection process comprises three interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on September 12. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Frank Bax
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6 113 20080
Hiring manager: Patrick Punte
Phone number: +31(0)88-86 61258