What will you be doing?
Concrete structures play an important part in our society. The lifespan of such (existing) concrete structures is also a growing field of research. At TNO, we approach our work on improving the durability of concrete structures from three angles: materials, structural behaviour and reliability. As part of this, we often work closely with parties such as the Rijkswaterstaat, Pro Rail and Delft University of Technology. The Materials team is looking for an enthusiastic and driven colleague capable of connecting applied science and practice, so that we can make a difference in the field of lifespan assessments and extending the lifespan of concrete structures.
You build a bridge between your scientific foundation and practice; you offer consultancy, and you are involved in developing knowledge in this field. You are very familiar with the sustainability assessment of concrete mixtures and structures. You are knowledgeable about relevant degradation mechanisms, such as reinforcement degradation. You apply your practical approach to a range of projects, from assessing the integrity of concrete pipes and designing preventative or curative measures to maintain existing concrete structures to testing the sustainability of specific concrete mixtures or cast-in-place concrete walls.
What do we require of you?
A suitable candidate should have: In addition to having 5 years’ work experience, you are a university graduate in: civil engineering, materials science, geology, inorganic chemistry or related subject.
- Have experience as a consultant for specific content-related issues.
- Have a network related to the lifespan of concrete structures.
- Aspire to further your career, after gaining a few years of experience in the field of concrete durability and degradation, in an environment in which (applied) scientific research plays an important role.
- Extensive knowledge of the effect of concrete structures, including the relevant requirements for this, and also know what role material degradation plays.
- Have experience with concrete repairs and techniques for extending the lifespan of concrete and concrete structures.
- Affinity with corpus research, experimental research and the application of different research techniques in the assessment of concrete structures.
- Can work independently, but also feel comfortable as part of multidisciplinary research projects.
- Are very adept at defining commercial opportunities for clients and enjoy translating defined issues into tailored TNO research.
- Are fluent in both written and spoken Dutch and English, and preferably German too.
What can you expect of your work situation?
TNO is an independent research organisation whose expertise and research make an important contribution to the competitiveness of companies and organisations, to the economy and to the quality of society as a whole. Innovation with purpose is what TNO stands for. With 3500 people we develop knowledge not for its own sake but for practical application. To create new products that make life more pleasant and valuable and help companies innovate. To find creative answers to the questions posed by society. We work for a variety of customers: governments, the SME sector, large companies, service providers and non-governmental organisations. Working together on new knowledge, better products and clear recommendations for policy and processes. In everything we do, impact is the key. Our product and process innovations and recommendations are only worth something if our customers can use them to boost their competitiveness.
What can TNO offer you?
Work enjoyment means something different for each employee. This is why we offer a-la-carte terms and conditions of employment that you can switch around on a monthly basis. Flexible working hours (like 4 days x 9 hours) and different leave schemes mean that you can create a package attuned to your specific wishes.
TNO attaches great value to both your personal and your professional development. At TNO you can orchestrate your own career.
The process comprises at least two (selection) rounds. After a positive selection, we will finish off the process by discussing terms and conditions of employment. We try to complete the interviews and assessment within 4 weeks.
Has this vacancy sparked your interest?
Then please feel free to apply on this vacancy! For further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Recruiter: Joost Heide, ter
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-141 83979
Note that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.
Hiring manager: Peter Rasker
Phone number: +31 (0)88-86 61470