Scientist Human-centered Artificial Intelligence | Soesterberg
Optimize collaboration between humans and AI systems. Do you envision? Become Scientist Human-centered Artificial Intelligence at TNO in Soesterberg.
Education typeuniversity (wo)
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
Do you envision a future in which collaboration between humans and artificial intelligence is an integral part of our society? Of course you do! As a scientist in our team, you are the linking pin between AI-developers and the future users of AI applications. Your goal: accomplishing effective human-AI teaming.
What will be your role?
Your job is about technical-scientific research, focused on concrete real-world issues. By interviewing end users and organising workshops with the stakeholders, you capture their needs and identify optimisation options. Such optimisation could entail a new human-robot-collaboration concept, or a specific solution that incorporates explainable AI, interactive machine learning or meaningful human control. In order to implement the acquired knowledge, you formalize functional requirements and work together with developers towards a prototype. During this development process you closely monitor the outcomes and make sure they are in line with the interests of end users. After the completion of a concept or prototype the outcome is presented and testing; either in one of our advanced labs or in the field, often using end users as participants.
Solutions that you and your team members (from a variety of disciplines) develop are never ‘basic’ or standard off-the-shelf. Often, you contribute to the birth of completely new models and technologies that will change the future of human-AI teaming. Exciting isn’t it? This requires a combination of solid research with cross-disciplinary pragmatism. In addition: Are you interested in project management? Or consultancy? Or some hands-on software development whenever you feel like it? We encourage you to co-define your TNO career!
Read more about research on human machine teaming.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- Expertise on XAI, AI, cognitive science, machine learning, knowledge models, responsible AI, value-sensitive design, meaningful human control, interactive robotics, ELSA (ethical, legal, societal aspects of AI)
- Relevant MSc degree
- Specific interest in applied research in addition to fundamental research
- Interest in human-technology interaction
What you’ll get in return
Perhaps you would like to grow your career in the direction of commerce or consultancy? Or would you like to become a project manager? Immerse yourself in sustainable innovations? Or carve out a career as a technical expert?
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Access to our Talent Development Programme.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 15th of June. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
As you will be working for clients in the domain of defence and security, a Certificate of No Objection issued by AIVD (The Dutch General Information and Security Service) is mandatory. This means you will have to undergo a security screening. Read more about security screening.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Frank Bax
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6 113 20080
Hiring manager: Chris JansenNote that applications via email and third party applications are not taken into consideration.