Scientist Hybrid AI
Contributing the next generation of AI systems. Envision it. Become a Scientist Hybrid AI at TNO in The Hague or Soesterberg.
Education typeuniversity (wo)
Hours a weekParttime – 36
Each day, massive amounts of data are generated. AI algorithms can help create insights into this data. These algorithms are, however, not always trustworthy and explainable. That is why we work on new generation AI systems that combine human knowledge and intelligence with machine learning algorithms. This is a challenge and we need your help to make it a success! Join us and work in the frontline of data science!
What will be your role?
What will be your role?
Together with your colleagues, you create smart solutions for questions in which standard AI solutions are not trustworthy or explainable enough, for example if the proper data is not available, the models must handle a changing environment, or because the AI model needs expert knowledge to produce an explainable advice. You will contribute to proof-of-concepts in which we can show how knowledge models and machine learning models can enhance each other.
As a scientist Hybrid AI at TNO you will follow the academic world and apply it. And you will even be involved in European research projects. All the while learning about machine learning, ontologies, Natural Language Processing and (probabilistic) logic, and much more. You work together with customers from different domains, such as the job market, the government, agri-food and defense. For example, in the job market you contribute to AI that provides explainable matching between vacancies and offers of expertises for a continuously changing and sustainable job market. For defense, you implement your hybrid AI techniques on a robot that can autonomously handle unknown and chancing environments. In the agri-food domain you contribute to help a grower to obtain explainable advice about the optimal growth of the crops, to improve the durability of the sector.
Join the diverse and tight-knit team of 50 highly qualified and motivated women and men of TNO Data Science. Your colleagues come from all over the world, sharing a drive to develop innovative applications that focus on understanding and giving meaning to data. At our modern offices The Hague or Soesterberg, you find a safe, open, friendly and highly professional atmosphere, in which we combine knowledge-sharing with fun events!
Learn more about TNO Data Science
Click on the link to see the vacancy in Dutch.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
Other knowledge and skills you bring to TNO:
- A Master’s Degree or PhD in artificial intelligence, computer science, industrial engineering & management (including computer science) or computational linguistics.
- Expertise in knowledge presentation, particularly in the field of semantic technology such as semantic web, ontologies, reasoning and/or modelling problems.
- Expertise in software development and experience with programming languages such as Python.
- Working knowledge of English and intermediate knowledge of Dutch – or willingness to learn Dutch.
What you’ll get in return
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Networking opportunities and great activities organized by Jong TNO.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
Please apply before the 7th of July, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 12th of July, 2022. The second interview round has been scheduled for the 15th of July, 2022. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
In view of the current Corona restrictions, the selection and onboarding processes have been modified. Your invitation for a job interview will detail the relevant information.
For this vacancy it is required that the AIVD issues a security clearance after conducting a security screening. Please visit for more information the AIVD website. o start an internship or graduation project at TNO.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Eric Atuahene
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6 187 22044
Hiring manager: Sharon Prins
Phone number: +31 (0)6-537 15812