Scientist / Integrator – Energy systems and materials in the built environment | Eindhoven
Contributing to the world of tomorrow. Envision it. Become a Scientist/ Integrator at TNO in Eindhoven
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
Part of the activities of the research group Materials Solutions is developing materials and systems for energy applications in the built environment. This can be the generation of energy, conversion or storage, or e.g. the reduction of energy demand. Examples of projects are solar control coatings (switching between solar absorption and reflection) on building parts, thermal heat harvesting in building skins, and thermochemical energy storage. All these systems are coupled with a buildings energy system (electrical and thermal). The interactions between material and system are always crucial in these kinds of applications: Translation of material developments (e.g. heat harvesting coatings, thermochemical materials) to integrated energy systems (e.g. coatings applied on a heat harvesting façade, PCM, thermochemical materials applied in a heat battery), coupling to state of the art energy systems (e.g. heat pumps), controlling, modelling, and monitoring of building physics, e.g. energy demands and outputs, implementation potential and energy return on investments. Key aspect is the interaction between materials and systems that can be used for energy harvesting, storage and conversion.
What will be your role?
Typical work activities are:
- Initiating and developing new projects and collaborations in your field of expertise (project acquisition for national as well as European funding schemes);
- Executing research projects (at different TRL levels) in the field of materials for energy harvesting, conversion and storage;
- Coordinating, supervising and monitoring the work of research engineers and interns;
- Reporting of research results (both internally and externally), in form of presentations, written reports and scientific publications.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Excellent execution of research projects;
- Communication with customers / partners on scientific progress and project results;
- Developing and maintaining a network with industrial and research partners to initiate new propositions.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- You are preferably holding a PhD in (building) physics or a related field of material science and technology.
- You have (at least) 5-7 years of experience in working in a multidisciplinary team of scientists and research engineers with competences in material science.
- You are familiar with energy systems and/or related fields of application.
- You have experience in writing project proposals for national and/or international funds and preferably also have experience in project management.
- You are a good communicator and able to express your thoughts and findings in a clear concise manner, both orally and written.
- A proactive team player, with a result-driven and customer-oriented attitude in your work.
- You are fluent in English and eager to learn Dutch. Fluent in Dutch is an advantage.
What you’ll get in return
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
- 33 days annual leave on a full-time basis.
- An employer that values and encourages diverse talent, with initiatives like the Female Leadership Program, our Rainbow Community and round tables on inclusion topics.
- Travel allowance.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- Extensive relocation package for international candidates.
- A good pension scheme.
Read more about tailoring your benefits package.
TNO as an employer
At TNO we encourage an inclusive work environment, where you can be yourself. Whatever your story and whatever unique qualities you bring to the table. It is by combining our unique strengths and perspectives that we are able to develop innovations that make a real difference in society. Want to know more? Read what steps we are taking in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The selection process
The selection process comprises two interview rounds. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Brahim Dagdaoui
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-111 60129
Hiring manager: Jan Pieter Maurice
Phone number: 08886 65764