Scientist - Subsurface Energy Transition | Utrecht
Working on the world of tomorrow. Envision it. Become a Scientist - Subsurface Energy Applications at TNO in Utrecht.
Education typeuniversity (wo)
Hours a weekFulltime – 40
The expertise group Applied Geosciences hosts about 70 professionals, for a large part earth scientists and subsurface engineers. Our project portfolio covers the entire chain of resource exploration, efficient production, subsurface storage, and the re-use and de-commissioning of existing infrastructure. Our project portfolio is diverse in scope and size: we manage large national research programs, participate in EU-funded research consortia, and provide consultancy services for the private sector. We offer our partners and clients - ranging from the global players in the energy sector to municipalities and from universities to start-up enterprises – a creative vision on the energy transition and transform this vision into practical solutions, based on world-class geoscientific expertise and leading edge technological capabilities.
What will be your role?
TNO offers a vibrant working atmosphere, with many opportunities for personal development and coaching. You will be given considerable room to develop, working closely in collaborative teams.
As a scientist in the Subsurface Energy Transition (SET) team within Applied Geosciences you will help developing subsurface technology solutions that will enable the transition towards a carbon neutral energy system. You will be working on topics such as large-scale energy storage in the subsurface, a safe and environmentally benign re-use of gas and electricity infrastructure for renewable energy production, and optimal integration of the different activities in the subsurface into the rapidly developing and diversifying new energy system.
You will have many opportunities to work together with clients on developing innovative solutions for complex problems faced by the energy industry. You will also have the opportunity to be part of multi-disciplinary research projects with a diverse group of geoscientists and engineers, as well as policy and economic experts.
Read more about our department.
How do you want to contribute to tomorrow's world? How big can your impact be? Come and work at TNO and envision it.
What we expect from you
- PhD/MSc in Applied Geoscience, Process Engineering or Energy Technology with 3-5 years of working experience, preferably in a Dutch or European context.
- Advanced knowledge of fluid flow, physio-chemical processes, subsurface rock-fluid interactions and (subsurface) transport processes, preferably applied in the context of renewable energy storage in the subsurface (hydrogen, compressed air, heat), transport (e.g. through pipelines, cables, ships, etc.) and conversion (e.g. power-to-gas via hydrogen).
- Affinity with energy system transition studies and system integration, with knowledge gained from prior experience is a plus.
- Ability to lead and carry out research activities independently, taking responsibility for delivering quality work according to planning and within budget.
- Proven experience of working in interdisciplinary technical projects, interacting with multiple stakeholders from research, industry and NGO’s.
- Experience with leading research tasks/activities and/or work packages in such projects is a plus.
- Self-drive, independent, pro-active and a team player.
- Demonstrate expertise and ability to work with GIS data manipulation, visualization, and modelling incl. applications such as ArcGIS and QGIS.
- Demonstrate scientific computing (with numerical analysis) skills using MATLAB & Python.
- Good communication skills, both written & verbal.
What you’ll get in return
TNO offers optional employee benefits, enabling you to tailor your benefits package to match your personal situation. You may also expect:
- A good pension scheme.
- Travel allowance or a bike.
- An extremely professional, innovative working environment where colleagues are leading experts in their field.
- 28 days annual leave and 5 compensation days under the reduction in working hours scheme (ATV, arbeidstijdverkorting) on a full-time basis.
- Great social events with your team and other TNO colleagues. That’s how you will get to know a lot of people really quickly.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility of working from home.
- The opportunity to attend courses, workshops and conferences, and to receive training and coaching based on your needs.
TNO as an employer
The selection process
Please apply before the 10rd of January, 2022. The selection process comprises two interview rounds. The preliminary interview takes place on the 17th of January, 2022. In a final meeting we will discuss the terms of employment and your tailored benefits package. We aim to finalize the entire process within four weeks.
The selection process may include an online assessment and a reference check.
Has this job opening sparked your interest?
Then we’d like to hear from you! Please contact us for more information about the job or the selection process. To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter using the ‘apply now’ button.
Recruiter: Anne-Maartje Uijl- Meijman, den
Mobile phone: +31 (0)6-469 66067
Hiring manager: Paul Wyers
Phone number: [email protected]